Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500ms+ ping when online gaming

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

500ms+ ping when online gaming

Hi All,

I'm experiencing huge spikes in ping when online gaming and have been for the past ~month or so. This problem currently effects both my PC and Xbox at all times of the day where ping can sit at ~30-60ms when initially joining a game and suddenly spike to anything from 300-1000ms at any given time, making all games literally unplayable.

I have been in contact with Plusnet multiple times over the past 2 weeks who are still struggling to find any issue, but not yet sent out an engineer. I am currently plugged into the test socket, a new router arrived yesterday (made no change), nothing else is connected to the router when I test the ping (through gaming), yet download speeds, upload speeds are all as per norm and speedtest results show fairly standard too.

I'm near pulling my hair out as this issue is incredibly frustrating, so looking here for some possible answers!

Tags (4)
14 REPLIES 14
cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

Re: 500ms+ ping when online gaming

I would think it is also worth mentioning that I connected my PC through my mobile's hotspot for testing sake and everything ran perfectly.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Do you connect your PC to the router via Ethernet?

If not, how far away is the PC from the router?

What router is it?

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. My connection is ethernet, but I have tried wireless too with much the same results (router was in same room on wireless test).
My router is the Sagemcom 2704N and I have also tried changing DNS to Google, instead of Auto and also forwarded ports.
DS
Seasoned Champion

It's better if you can connect via Ethernet.

Here's the problem, I've never owned one of those routers so I'd be no use to you regarding that Sad

Was it working fine on that game at any time and then you started to get this issue?

Does any other game or sites you go to cause the same issue?

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

I can connect via Ethernet all the time so I tend to do that.
I joined plusnet in Feb 2016 and never had any issues, both Xbox and PC. The ping/latency issues all started at the same time across both devices, but as said previously, the issue only effects ping in online games. If I didn't play games online, I would be none the wiser of any issue.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Sorry for the delay

I can only say it's at the game end then if nothing else is affected....Huh

Having said that, not sure if your router handles UPnP ok or not, but our router has UPnP enabled (and no ports are forwarded for any sites) and it's been faultless in regards to gaming.

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

No problem, thanks for your help. I was thinking the same, but the fact that my mobile hotspot lets all games run fine, it still leads me to believe this is router/plusnet related.
DS
Seasoned Champion

I would, based purely on reading around on these forums, blame the router too Sad

Having said that, my connection is 'supposed be' around 38Mbps d/l, currently it's a whopping

low speed 18.01.16.JPG

So could your connection be an issue too?

(Beginning to wish I'd stayed with a 'non dropping and I'm genuinely surprised to say this' Sky adsl

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

Ouch!! Yeah, the situation is not ideal and unfortunately, given that my contract ends in Feb, I will probably look to leave Plusnet if the issue isn't resolved before it expires.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Tell me about it!!

Although the above 'blip' has since recovered.

Are any of your gaming community friends seeing the same as you?

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

Seems to be just me. The reason I feel near certain that this is on Plusnet's end is that this started all at the same time, across different devices. I have played various online games on Xbox One on this network since Feb'16 and not once has there been an issue. I was in the process of building a gaming pc (nothing connected to the network) when the issues started on my Xbox, seemingly affecting all games. Now, since getting my pc finished a couple weeks back, it happens on there too.

DS
Seasoned Champion

What does it say on this link - Plusnet Gateway Checker

Because last night ours was showing bng-04 or words similar and now it's back to core2-hu0-18-0-0.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.24) 5.065 ms

The other thing to try is turn off the router for about an hour (I know, a full hour!!) then switch it back on.

Then try gaming, how's the ping now?

Also, you can also use that link to check your exchange.

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

This is all it says right now: 

You are currently connected to gateway psb-ar02.

This is located in Southbank Point of Presence.

I can try the turning router off/on later on and will provide an update in due course Smiley

Thanks again for all your input on this, really appreciated.

DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem Smiley

Now I could be wrong, but I do recall reading something recently on these forums about psb-ar02. If @bobpullen is around he may know something about this. If he's not available then hopefully others may find this thread and offer some info....?

If you do try the router option and it does change (using the link) - plus it makes a difference to your ping, it might help find a reason.