Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50% drop in upload speeds

Oxigin
Grafter

50% drop in upload speeds

Hi All,
Is anyone else having issues with their upload speeds? Mine would normally be around 1.39meg - But today (and likely last night) when running a speed test I am getting between 0.50 and 0.60 - Download speeds appear normal from what I can see
Type  ADSL2+ 
Status  up 
                                Downstream  Upstream 
Data Rate (kbps)  21916                  1159 
Noise Margin (dB)  0.3                        6.6 
Attenuation (dB)    5.1                        1.9 
Sad
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: 50% drop in upload speeds

Hi Oxigin,
Looking at the DS figures, it looks like the line is experiencing a significant level of noise.
I suspect that you are confusing measurements.  There is no way on ADSL that you can achieve 1.39Mbit/s upload, either synch rate or data transfer rate, as ADSL does not run that fast.
Your current US synch rate is a very healthy 1.159Mbits/s just a little short of the top 1.2Mbits/s limit.
However for such a short line, your DS synch rate is somewhere short of the expected 24Mbits/s.  The SNRM is critically low - have you tweaked that with your router?  If yes, its is too low for comfort, if not it is indicative of noise on the line.  Is the phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the master socket.  Is the router plugged into the master socket?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oxigin
Grafter

Hello,
About a month ago I was getting 1.39 (see image)
I've no idea what SNRM so pretty sure I've not tweaked them - I've got a Belkin AC1000 router - I can't see any options to modify the SNRM settings
In regards to the phone - Thats a difficult one - I dont have a home phone - when I DID have one kept getting cold calls so dumped it - I live in a newbuild and they don't seem to have the old school master sockets any more but there is only one port in the house so i guess from that point it must be the master
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
Speed testers can / do misreport figures.  On rereading ADSL specs around the place, 1.3Mbps is the maximum synch speed on ADSL2+ therefore any data speed test is going to be less than that.  I have seen one reference to a maximum of 1.4Mbps US on ADSL2+ but that still is not enough head room to deliver 1.39Mbps data speed.
There are extensions around to the ADSL2+ standards which would give more US, but that is at the sacrifice of DS and is not an option offered on residential circuits.
Every line has a master phone socket.  A corded phone is a valuable diagnostic asset, to say nothing of the value of having a working phone line in the event of a power failure.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Oxigin,
Just picked up your Tweet.
I'm running some diagnostics now.
UPDATE:
Tests aren't showing me any obvious issues at all so please test over ethernet if you haven't already using http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ then report a fault at http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Quizzical

Quote from: Oxigin
Is anyone else having issues with their upload speeds? Mine would normally be around 1.39meg - But today (and likely last night) when running a speed test I am getting between 0.50 and 0.60 - Download speeds appear normal from what I can see

I've had appalling speeds for the past couple of weeks,
Just run a test: 6.9Mb DL, 0.7Mb UL
Online gaming is unplayable (get constantly kicked off PS3 games due to poor connection), uploading to Amazon Glacier is, well, glacial. (NB not doing both these at the same time). VPN to office frequently dies.
Throw in some disconnects thoughout the day and it's pretty dire
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@Quizzical
I can see you've raised a fault to us this afternoon.
Our faults team will look into that as soon as they can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team