cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4hr connection loss & line speed drop

wintonian
Dabbler

4hr connection loss & line speed drop

My connection went down at 05:13 and came back up at 09:39 since which my line speed has dropped from 21Mb to 18Mb and a 16.1 ip profile down from 18.xx.
I know DLM is still running on the line and on Tuesday we put in an order to have interleaving removed, but is it normal for the line speed to change like this and have such long disconnections?
I'm used to seeing a stable line that syncs at 24,574 with BE so this is a little deflating ATM.
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: 4hr connection loss & line speed drop

Hi there,
It looks like your disconnection this morning was caused by planned maintenance although for some reason it seems you haven't automatically reconnected straight away as normally would happen.
I can't see any obvious reason for the speed change although your line is still in it's 10 day training period where you can see speed fluctuation.
wintonian
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply,
I saw that but as it was expected to take up-to 1 hour and that users may experience a brief disconnection, I kind of discounted it having been disconnected for 4 1/2 hours myself.
Possibly. All users connected to the gateway known as PTW-AG01 will be briefly disconnected from the Internet. Those disconnected should be able to reconnect almost immediately.

TBH I'm a little worried about this line speed as I thought the line speed was the maximum the line could handle dependent on physical characteristics such as condition of the line and ISP's equipment, with any software limiting/ configurations being elected in the IP profile.
If after the 10 day period is up and my sync is less than 24,574 I know that either there is something up with Plusnets configuration or their equipment as this drop occurred immediately upon migration, but obviously we will have to wait a few days before getting into that if we need to.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Let me know what it like after your 10 day training period ends(this is from the start of your ADSL service) and I'll check again and go from there.
wintonian
Dabbler

Yeh I'm just being pessimistically impatient as usual I suppose, plus I'm yet to be convinced that DLM is actually a good thing on my line.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

FYI Plusnet has no direct control over your sync speed. That will be entirely down to the condition & length of, and any interference/noise picked up by, your line.