cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g backup

chriscollins88

4g backup

Hi, I'm having reoccurring issues with my connection. Openreach have been out multiple times and effected fixes but there is still a reoccurring issue where our connection goes down for hours at a time. Does anyone know if Plusnet offer a free 4g hotspot to help cover outages? It's causing me real issues with work not having an internet connection for hours at a time.
8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: 4g backup

@chriscollins88 Welcome to the forums. No, sadly PN do not offer the 4G backup. Out of interest, what is this 'recurring issue'?

John
chriscollins88

Our connection just randomly drops out for various lengths of time. It's recently got much worse. Openreach have data that shows the number and duration of the drops. The last engineer replaced a section of our line from the cabinet but still we're getting these drop outs.
jab1
Legend

OK, not much I can say to help then, but I assume the investigation is ongoing?

John
chriscollins88

I posted to here to see if there was any chance of getting a mobile backup. Sounds like a no which is useful to know. The investigation gets closed each time Openreach come out and can only be reopened if when plusnet test the line they find an issue. It's annoying and time-consuming as I have to go through the phone system each time.
jab1
Legend

@chriscollins88 Yes, I agree the way this is handled is crazy, but it is 'the way', and there is zero chance of it changing. Obviously, I/we don't know exactly what is causing this constant failure, but do you ever get told, even in vague terms, what PN/OR 'think' the issue is?

John
chriscollins88

Openreach sent out the area supervisor last time and he found two issues on the line at different distances from the house. He thought the cable could have been mechanically damaged and so changed some of the cable to mitigate the issue. However I think he only did that for one of the issues not the one further away. The diagnostic systems he was able to use, clearly showed all the history of issues on the line so I'm confident I won't be charged for a needless call out at least.
jab1
Legend

Fair enough, @chriscollins88 . This sounds like one of those 'hunt the slipper' situations which can befuddle the best of people. You will not be charged for the call-out - if the issue is still there, it needs resolving, and in any case engineer call outs are no longer charged for.

John
Smith7
All Star
Fixes: 3

My friend has her Broadband with EE ( also part of BT like PN ) and works from home she had problems with her broadband going very slow.

EE tested the system and found a problem  and as Openreach were unable to send anyone out over Christmas/New Year they added 100GB yes 100GB to her EE mobile data  so she could use the Hotspot to tide her over until the repair could be sorted 

The problem was found to be in a cabinet where OR contractors are adding extra FTTP lines and they also knocked £8.96 off the monthly payment 

It seems its all down to   " you get what what you pay for "

If your mobile is with PN it seems an easy thing to add some extra data to help you over  as EE do

She is very happy with EE and Orange broadband previously