cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

44Kbps from 20MB service

pinniger1
Grafter

44Kbps from 20MB service

I reported a serious slowdown in our service on 3rd June and completed the broadband fault checker.  The Plusnet person I talked to said there were lots of dropouts on the line, probably caused by our recent switchover to ADSL2.  We have been with Plusnet for about six years now and for the past few years have always had a speed of about 4 to 5MB. Nothing has changed on our system at this end.

The advisor arranged for a new Thomson modem to be sent out. This has now been up and running for 3 days (with a new filter) but we are still capped at 135Kbps. One advisor said that the modem stopped the dropouts but another one said they were still happening. I am running regular speed tests and the last one showed that I am getting a download speed of 44Kbps. This is worse than useless, as it takes around 30 seconds to load most web pages.
I have little confidence in Plusnet support, because the advisors keep contradicting each other. Having read through some of the threads on here, I am concerned that this could take months to resolve. Can anyone here help, and if so, what other information can I provide? Thanks.
109 REPLIES 109
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 44Kbps from 20MB service

The stats from your router - speeds, attenuation and noise margin.
If you are still using the Thomson you get them from here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
The result of a BT speedtest
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

On Tuesday/Wednesday there were a few dropouts, since then however the line seems much more stable.
I'm just running a quick line test to see what speeds your router is connecting to the exchange at now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

OK, I've read through the fault tickets and your line was producing quite a few errors (not necessarily disconnections) so your line has now got a banded profile applied to it. One of the faults agents has requested that this is removed and we're awaiting confirmation of that. I'll speak to the faults guys and ask them to chase this again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Chris,
That's the second banded profile in the last day or so that seems to have been applied incorrectly by the DLM.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

I'm not sure this one is incorrectly applied? It was added around a week ago due to massive amounts of errors and quite a few disconnections, the line has vastly improved over the last few days and now there are 0 errors showing.
pinniger1
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The stats from your router - speeds, attenuation and noise margin.
If you are still using the Thomson you get them from here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
The result of a BT speedtest

Thanks for that. Here are the router stats:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 9:43:09
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 283
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.5 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 22.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 33 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 32,341
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
And the BT speed test says:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 52 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :283 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.62:25.0:65.38 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Sorry I didn't realise it was applied that long ago. I assumed it had been applied in the period for which you showed the data.
There's nowhere in there that shows anything like the 10/hr disconnections that should be needed for the DLM to register a 'flapping line'.
As far as I can ascertain, immediate banding should ONLY be applied to a 'flapping line' , errors should cause the DLM to  apply interleaving and then raise the SNR target in 3db steps to 15db before going to a banded profile.
Edit: Those stats are 'orrible. Can you post a set of stats using the test socket ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pinniger1
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
One of the faults agents has requested that this is removed and we're awaiting confirmation of that. I'll speak to the faults guys and ask them to chase this again.

Thanks very much for your input, Chris. I just had a call from Phil at Plusnet support, who tells me he has asked BT to remove the banded profile and that we should see an improvement within 24 hours. Now we are getting somewhere.
The only thing that's confusing me now is that another advisor told me on Wednesday that he had asked for the banding to be removed - he even wrote it on the ticket. Hmmmm  
I'm certainly glad I found this site. Smiley
pinniger1
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Edit: Those stats are 'orrible. Can you post a set of stats using the test socket ?

Are they?  I'll do my best if you could you tell me where the test socket is and how I use it.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suggest leaving the set-up as it stands for the moment, disconnecting and changing things around could well persuade the DLM that the connection is still fragile causing it to reapply the banded profile.
When the banded profile is removed your sync speed should increase significantly, hopefully well above 10000kbps but that depends on whether the target noise margin has been raised due to the problem. However note that it might take a couple of days for the IP Profile to increase and until it does speed-test results will not change. If the target noise margin has been raised it should automatically reduce when the DLM sees line stability is now good.
David
pinniger1
Grafter

I found out what the test socket is. Excuse my ignorance.
I can't get the computer near the test socket without an awful lot of upheaval - it's two floors away. You might have spotted a weakness in the setup here. The modem is connected to a BT socket that is about 100 feet away from the master socket, with a couple of phone sockets in between. It's a mess, but fixing it would require an expensive visit from a BT engineer - and it wasn't really a problem with ADSL1. I suspect we might have to bite the bullet now though. What do you think?
Here's an updated set of stats. They're from the same socket, I'm afraid, but some of the numbers are quite different.
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:26:51
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 12,236
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.5 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 44 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 176
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 77
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That set-up seems less that ideal, however to minimise risk of the DLM immediately re-applying a banded profile I suggest leaving things alone for the moment.
If you enter your phone number and postcode into Kitz's adsl checker here, how far does it say you are from the exchange (direct and by road)? And what 21CN WBC speed is given in the BT Line Speed estimation table?
David
pinniger1
Grafter

I promise I won't touch a thing.
I am 1.13km direct and 1.61km by road. It says 'Not Available' against the 21CN WBC speed estimation.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When the sync is varying between 283 and 12,236 I can't see you getting anywhere fast with this!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)