Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40Mb on a 72mb line

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

40Mb on a 72mb line

Hello!
I've just had Plusnet installed at my house and I've noticed my speeds over wifi are around 38/36mb which are far off the 72mb estimate. I'm on the unlimited fibre extra (76mb) plan.
BT Wholesale speed results are:
Download Speed (MBPS) : 38.24
Upload Speed (MBPS): 14.27
Ping (MS): 39.38
Plusnet high-speed broadband stats
Estimated line speed:
   72Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-07-09 00:23:21
Current line speed:
   40 Mb
I've seen another user mention that his profile needs changing to the Plusnet one (http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=129035.msg1121802) ; could a DCT please do this for me?
Thanks!
(If you see any unusual stats from my line (I've been turning it on and off a couple of times), I've had trouble setting up the router as the BT engineer just went to his van and installed the BT modem without any instructions or help and then left. Thankfully, Plusnet helped me over the phone)
5 REPLIES 5
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: 40Mb on a 72mb line

It looks like you are on the 40/20 service, not the 80/20. Which did you order? If it was the 80/20 then I think Plusnet just need to correct the Current Line Speed to match the BT IP Profile. if you ordered 40/20 then you are getting as good as it gets. Never mind - just spotted that you are supposed to be on 80/20 (Unlimited Fibre Extra) so it looks like a Provisioning error which Plusnet should be able to sort.
Can you carry out the "Further Diagnostics" on the BTw speed tester? Use an ethernet connection if you can - wireless can have a -ve impact on speed tests...
Riza
Rising Star

I've bought the 80/20 service. My desktop pc isn't working at the moment and my laptop doesn't have a ethernet port.
I'm just going to wait for a plusnet staff member to do this
adie:quote
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

You can still try it with wireless - if it works you'll at least be able to see the IP Profile, however it may not give you the answer as it seems to error for the first couple of weeks on FTTC.
Riza
Rising Star

An BT Openreach engineer came in today to install my fiber services (which has already been; yesterday), he attached his blue meter reading machine and it states the speed is 79.9mb he told me to call customer services to change my profile and now I'm getting 76mb/s  Grin (I use a 20ish meter ethernet cable to connect to my desktop upstairs)
What was weird was that BT called me (3 days ago) to say if the 24th was convenient and then a hour later they said the 25th. It turns out they sent two engineers  Huh The second engineer was more experienced than the first and told me the first engineer should have brought all of his equipment and not just the faceplate and should have setup the router.
Now all of this is sorted - it seems to be great  Cheesy
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

I suspect the first engineer was a contractor, either from Kelly Communications or Quinns. Neither of them are provided with the full BT engineer testing kits, so they can only get a remote line test done. Mine had to try 14 times before he got a result.