cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 days & counting: DSL working, but no PPOE server or IP address available

Michael37

4 days & counting: DSL working, but no PPOE server or IP address available

Hi,
On Monday afternoon, while I was out, my internet connection (plusnet unlimited fibre) failed. It had previously been up for 28 days with no problem (according to plusnet data).
I tried switching the BT modem off for 10 secs then on again, and the same with the apple time capsule I had connected to it - no joy.
I didn't report the fault until Tue morning (hoping that it would just start working). The next morning I did the broadband fault reporting web page, including testing for a PPPoE connection from a laptop - not successful, PPPoE server not found (submitted 7.10 am Tuesday).
There was no response to the fault for 72 hours (3 days).....
At 8.25 this morning there was a response, asking me to test the PPPoE connection from a computer (which I'd already done on Tue am).
When I retested the PPPoE with two computers & 2 different ethernet cables I still got no PPPoE server, and I also noticed that there was no IP address (I'm not clear if there should be an IP address before the PPP connection is established though)
Console shows:
"PPPoE connecting to service 'Plusnet' [access concentrator '']...
PPoE connection failed, No route to host"
[it also fails if I don't put a service name].
I gave this additional information on the fault report around 9.45 am this morning, and nothing has happen since.
I've now been without internet for 4 days, and it's very unclear when it will be back.
Any tips? (other than paying for next door's BTOpenzone?).
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Michael37

Re: 4 days & counting: DSL working, but no PPOE server or IP address available

Now day 5 and counting, nothing from the engineers except a single line test - not very impressive.
Looks like it could be a problem similar to this one: https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-BB-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-Cannot-find-PPPoE-server/td-...
- but if that is the case, then BT will probably need to sort it. Currently there is no evidence that the plusnet engineers have got that far though....
How many more days?
AndyH
Grafter

Can you try changing the router connection details to the BT test account to see if that makes a difference?
USERNAME: speedtest@speedtest_domain
PASSWORD: testing
If this works, the only site you should be able to access is: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
Michael37

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion - I tried it, but I still get "Could not find a PPPoE server".
AndyH
Grafter

PN need to pick this up asap. It is disappointing that the member of staff who has already responded, did not read that you have done all the necessary tests including the PPPoE connection from the computer.
Michael37

Indeed - particularly when the on-line fault reporter asks you to do that test
I was finally phoned back this afternoon by an engineer  who took the trouble to notice that it looked like there was something wrong with the line (unlike the ones earlier). I should get a visit on Monday, hopefully.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, I believe the speedtst login will only work if the user has been on the BT speed tester and TAP3 has been requested as then it'll be expecting a login on the line. Best test username to use is bt_test@startup_domain with no password (if your router will let you leave the password box blank, if not then just use 'password' with no quotes). If that connects, please try bt_test_user@plusdsl.net with the same password as previously and let us know if that one works as well?
Michael37

Now fixed - it was a crossed line... fixed by a BT Openzone engineer this morning.
Looks like an engineer last Monday was either disconnecting someone or changing someone's connection, & managed to dislodge my wires & then put them back in the wrong place. Apparently Openzone uses contractors who do things quickly & don't test things properly.
The main question is why it took until Saturday afternoon to identify that this was the problem! It seems to me that the first plusnet engineers viewed it as a user problem & ignored it....