cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.5mb Down / 0.1mb Up, why so slow upload?

fastonebaz
Grafter

4.5mb Down / 0.1mb Up, why so slow upload?

Hi Support,
Am on the PlusNet Extra package, have been for a few months now.  For the first few months speed was good.  However all this last week I've noticed that whilst the download speed is about right, the upload speed is really bad compared to my previous provided (Orange) and the previous performance from Plus.  This is unusual.

I've run this same test various times of day on smartphone, ipod, and two different laptops and results are all the same - approx 4.5mb down and 0.1mb up.  I'm used to getting arond 0.35mb upload speeds.
Whilst the 4.5mb down is OK, the browsing experience does appear to be somewhat slower than I'm used too from you.  Is there anything wrong?
1) I've completed the troubleshooting section of your website for Broadband speed
2) My router is left on 24/7
3) Speedtester.bt shows the following results:
a) Downstream rate 6.5mb
b) IP Profile 5mb
c) Download speed 3.5mb
I'm normally sitting within 10 feet of my router in visible distance.  Its a newish Plusnet router, (only signed up a few months ago with you).
Any ideas why such a slow upload?
thanks
Barry
74 REPLIES 74
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: 4.5mb Down / 0.1mb Up, why so slow upload?

Hi fastonebaz,
we have a few people reporting slow upload on the Thomson TG585v8 in this thread. Could you tell me what the make and model of the wireless adapter in your computer is please?
Jojo Smiley
fastonebaz
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
Yes mine is the thompson v585 v8.  My computer's wireless adapter is:
Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g
After reading that thread, my firmware version is 8.2.7.7.  I'll update it to 8.2.7.8 and see how it goes.
regards
FoB
fastonebaz
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
Have flashed the router with new firmware v8.2.7.8.  Easy and successful.  First speed test after is:

So, on the face of it, this has been successful, although I'll keep monitoring it over next few days and report back if it slips again.
Thanks
FoB
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Excellent, thanks for letting me know. Smiley
Mathias
Grafter

Hi
I've been plagued by lag when playing (mainly black ops and MW2) on my xbox. I never get to be host and the even when connection strength is apparently full i still notice lag. Here are my results of a speedtest on my windows 7 pc connected via a Realtek RTL8191SU wireless n adapter:

My router is the thomson TG585 v Software Release: 8.2.6.5
I'm quite pleased with the download speed and having ran the same speedtest on my android phone connected to the same wirelss network via wireless g, i get similar results, although higher ping of around 50. Unfortunately i can't run the test on the xbox but would like to know the results for this, although it sits right next to my pc and is connected wirelessly via wireless g.
Is the upload speed normal to be this low (relative to the download speed)? I've heard that this usually determines if you get host, especially since black ops has no dedicated servers.
Is there anyway to increase this (i.e. is plusnet throttling upload speed)? I've looked to see if i can get on the fiber optic trial but I'm not sure when it will come to Acomb (a subsiduary of York), which may get it later this month and i would be keen to get on it if i can, anyway to find out when it's completed?
Cheers, Matt.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Mathias,
The upload is restricted to 448k but as you are on ADSL2+ this can be uncapped free of charge and you would receive up to about 1Mbps upload. Most customers do not require a high upload and when we uncap the upload this can have an effect on the downstream so we restrict it to offer a better overall performance. If you want me to have yours uncapped I would be happy to do so.
Jojo Smiley
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes please! Would love to have faster upload for gaming and as its free then please go ahead and uncap the line. How long will it be until i notice the impact? Also when you say it affects the downstream, in what way would it impact it (i.e. lower speeds or higher chance or disconnections)?
Thanks very much, Matt.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Matt,
It normally takes effect in about 24 hours and the main reason it's set like that by default is because it can compromise the downstream.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Matt,
I've requested that now, it should now be effective within 24 hours.
Jojo Smiley
Mathias
Grafter

Thanks Jojo,
Hopefully won't compromise the downstream. Will i need to reset the router for the change to take effect or will it occur naturally?
Cheers.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It may require a reset. If you give me nudge tomorrow afternoon I'll check if it's gone through for you.
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for actioning this so quickly, you've been great. As you mentioned above, can you please let me know once this has been completed?
I will then reset the router and perform another speed test.
Cheers, matt.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll have a check for you now Matt.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Matt,
I've just checked the order and it's not due to complete until next wednesday. So basically it's gone through as a 7 day order instead of 24 hours. Sorry about that but I'm going to have to investigate why this has happened as our ordering system should have done it in 24hrs.
Jojo Smiley