Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Party Router Settings...

Suarez
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

3rd Party Router Settings...

Hi,
I have a ASUS N55-U with modified LAN port to allow WAN connection.
I set up the connection automatically, just inputting my plusnet username/password.
I am receiving around 10mb/s less on this router than on the provided Plusnet technicolor.
I ended up just guessing the setting I needed, so I just want to check I have everything right:
I just selected PPPoE
It needed me to input a VPI & VCI number - I just put any in. What should they be?
Also, it wants me to input MTU and MRU - again, just put any in.
As I said, everything is working but my connection is 10mb/s slower - down from a 73mb/s.
Thanks.
ps. I realise PN don't support 3rd part routers, but was hoping someone else could help, or a helpful member of the PN forum crew.  Smiley
16 REPLIES 16
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: 3rd Party Router Settings...

Hi Suarez,
We'll give you all the help we can Smiley
You can check the settings for that you need at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
I'd leave the MTU and MRU at the default values.

AndyH
Grafter

I've got an RT-N66U and my MTU/MRU are set to default 1492 (if this is any use).
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

MTU of 1492 is correct for PPPoE.
Suarez
Rising Star

Thanks guys.
When I connected my N55U, with the settings mentioned, it still synced at 10mb/s less than the Technicolor and web pages continued to hang...
Any idea why this would be?
It was great on my previous ADSL connection.
ps. Obviously I know I should be asking ASUS this, but maybe it's something else I'm missing in regards to specific Plusnet settings or something?
Suarez
Rising Star

Speedtest with TechniColor Router:

Speedtest with ASUS N55U:

Why would this be, any ideas?  Embarrassed
AndyH
Grafter

Which firmware are you using for the N55U?
Suarez
Rising Star

I am using:
DSL-N55U_3.0.0.4_335_Annex_A
This is the latest Beta firmware direct from ASUS that allows you to use one of the N55U's ethernet ports as an EWAN port.

Was looking thought the info above and saw that MTU AND MRU should be set to 1492. I had set my MTU to 1492, but had hadn't changed MRU to this value. So...I did this and got this result with the N55U:

So, I have my download speed now on par, but my upload is a little lower still...perhaps another setting I've overlooked an need to change?
This is what I have on the main WAN page:

Thanks!  Smiley
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I use the Asus RT-N56U & my settings are exactly the same as yours, I'm also using the latest firmware. As I'm over 600 metres from my cabinet my speeds are obviously lower than your's. However, they are both far in excess of my Technicolor speeds which is now buried in the bottom of my "bits & pieces" cupboard.
pengbo
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
As I'm over 600 metres from my cabinet my speeds are obviously lower than your's.

That's weird.  By my calcs I am nearly 1Km from my cabinet but I get the following:
tijara33
Pro

I am nearly 1Km from my cabinet but I get the following:

I'd be very surprised if you're that far away & getting those speeds. According to the Thinkbroadband website you should only achieve 24 Mbs.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html
pengbo
Grafter

you and me both tijara33 but I is not complaining. Was simply adding it to indicate that if I am 1Km away then there may be something on your line that is affecting yours
It's a big if I know.
tijara33
Pro

Hi pengbo, I'd say it's the 8th wonder of the world!!  Cheesy
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html
pengbo
Grafter

Yeah I found that page when I was looking if I should upgrade.  However wasn't the written before the 80/20 product came out and didn't that double the possible speeds?
I would totally agree with you I shouldn't be able to get the speeds I do but I have scoured the area for FTTC cabinets before the BT engineer came and I asked him where it was and he confirmed it was at the cabinet 1Km from me (it's actually 960M lol).
So I am at a  total loss as to how it's happening.
Estragon
Rising Star

In effect 80/20 didn't double anything except the speed cap on the line. So if you got a connection speed of 30Mbps on 40/10 (profile 17a) then that's about what you get on 80/20.
If you got 40/10 on 40/10 then on 80/20 you get 40-80/10-20 depending on distance etc.