cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

38MB unlimited fttc?

IndiaBravo
Grafter

38MB unlimited fttc?

Anyone know if there's an option to take 38MB line with no cap?
I had a decent ADSL connection until asked to get a small problem fixed, now my speeds have halved and experiencing some buffering on vid and terrible lag on games. I can't raise a fault to revert to how it was before because the new figures are 'within expected speeds'  Roll_eyes
So, I just want to get back to a fairly decent capability and have no need for 76MB but I cannot see the point in the small limit on the essentials fibre, I assume there must be something in between the two packages?
Also, is there any offers on taking up these packages for existing customers?
25 REPLIES 25
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: 38MB unlimited fttc?

Well it's what you'd end up with if you are a relatively long way from your cabinet and your estimated speed on FTTC was well below 40. Although you'd have to pay the same as someone living much closer to their cabinet and getting 76Mb.
But I don't really see why your ADSL connection can't be fixed properly so you'd end up with the same speed as before - if you post your ADSL line stats and other information requested here we could comment on them. "Within expected speeds" doesn't mean much especially if that's from the BT speed tester - and it would have been difficult to get double your expected speed earlier.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IB didn't say he would only get 38MB...  He doesn't need anything higher.
In answer to the question posed, no there isn't another product.  Given the price difference between the Essentials and Unlimited products I wouldn't have thought there'd be much demand for such a service.
IndiaBravo
Grafter

yes, pwatson's correct - I don't need 76MB speed, but can't fit within the stupidly small limit on 38MB, so would prefer to pay just for an unlimited 38MB (the cab is around 50m away so achieving any speed is not a problem). And assumed that there wouldn't be such a plan, but hoped there might be  Wink
I was running nicely at >1100kbps on ADSL, but the connection would drop on answering some incoming calls. I was happy to live with the inconvenience for a while (don't use landline that often), but finally thought I'd call it in.
Plus fixed that quickly but my downstream margin fluctuated between 1-2db and minus figures, I wasn't dropping connections but occasionally unable to utilise the connection.
After getting the margin back up, my link speed had dropped to 5xxxkbps, I have since been able to up that by using G.dmt and PPoE and now sitting around 6xxxkbps.
Now, I realise this isn't bad but I was comfortable at above 10000 and now getting annoyed with the buffering etc that I would have probably never have noticed/had got used to if I'd never had the higher speed. I don't hold out much hope for returning to that hence considering fttc.
anyway current figures:
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: G.dmt
DSL Path Mode: Interleaved
Downstream Rate: 6720 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Downstream Margin: 15 db
Upstream Margin: 26 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 38 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 12 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 12 db
Upstream Transmit Power: 5 db
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Those ADSL stats show the main problem:
The speed is slower because the DS margin is high at 15. Of course an enormous margin of 15 will be more stable, but I would think very few people on these forums would put up with the corresponding speed reduction. What if anything did Plusnet actually do to "fix" the problem?
PPPoE / PPPoA has no impact on sync speed. Setting G.dmt is probably a poor workaround.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've taken a look at your line and have managed to get your profile at 8Mb/s which is a sync rate of 9152kbps. Let me know how you get on with that.
If you do choose Unlimited FTTC then you will receive your lines estimate which you can check here.
IndiaBravo
Grafter

Thanks Chris. I'm now back to 1-2db or negative (reported as stupidly high 2432123db ) but I'll monitor over the next few days as it doesn't seem to immediately be an issue. I was told there was something in the exchange set to purposely drop the margin down that low - do you know what that would be?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The DLM(Dynamic Line Management) will drop your target SNR if it feels that will benefit your line, the 2432123db sounds like a reporting error.
IndiaBravo
Grafter

Hi Chris,
the 2432123db (actual value 2147483647db) is that the router isn't set to handle what becomes a negative Margin. As I understand it, if the signal level drops below the noise level then (in db terms) the margin is negative. Some routers get confused and report high.
I went through the testing during the previous troubleshooting - my other router presents it as -xdb.
I was informed "The reason for the very low SNR is the exchange's software is for some reason forcing this onto the line." and then a full SNR reset was run (training period etc) but with a setting changed to prevent the software dropping the SNR so low. I presume that this setting set the lower limit too high, hence the current issue?
At the moment it's been running at 6db each time I've checked during the day - it seems to be late at night it drops down to 0db and below (and previously had understandable issues because of this). As of now (2000hrs), it's steadily dropping the margin.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We're not seeing the noise reduce as low as you're reporting.

I was informed "The reason for the very low SNR is the exchange's software is for some reason forcing this onto the line." and then a full SNR reset was run (training period etc) but with a setting changed to prevent the software dropping the SNR so low. I presume that this setting set the lower limit too high, hence the current issue?

This is the case but as mentioned above we're not seeing the SNR go very low at all, there is something going on as it's been at 14dB for some time.
are you connected to your test socket?
IndiaBravo
Grafter

Not on test socket at the moment Chris, it was for the last round of tests but put back as it was all over and done with.
Last series of tests - test socket, two different routers, swapped filters and cable but still showing the same.
I see that's charting an average - It seems to be good during the day (when I'm mostly not using it!) but drops down overnight - usually around 0db at midnight. At the moment (20:25) showing 3db.
However, I'm currently not seeing the non-connectivity that I had previously when it dropped down so low but will keep an eye on it. And I'm not experiencing so much buffering since you upped the profile (admittedly only watched one vid) - and the original problem (dropped on answering incoming calls*) has long gone. So this low figure seems to be more of a worry than anything else (don't watch it, it won't bother you...)
You said "there is something going on as it's been at 14dB for some time". The drop corresponds with whatever you changed to get the profile up to 8Mbps.

*I know one or two people locally that have this issues (different ISPs) - what is it that's causing it? Just bad maintenance at the exchange and boxes, over subscription, or something else?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I know you've recently had a fault ticket open with us, would you be able to run through the faults wizard again as it does need our faults team dealing with this. I'm happy to help along the way and help resolve this.
If you can run through it let me know and I will add the additional comments that need adding.

IndiaBravo
Grafter

Thanks for your time on this Chris -
As I say, since you changed my profile I'm kinda happy. I no longer drop on calls (original problem), have buffering (introduced after first fix) and I think there's no disconnects even though I'm getting extra low downstream margins.
The question is - do I actually have a problem, and if so, what do I input in the faults checker? I'm worried by the low margin, as it was the cause of many disconnects previously but I can't report that I actually have disconnects at the moment !
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's the l;ow margin that you're seeing that concerns me and I'd like to get checked over, if you complete it under intermittent connection I can make sure it's passed to the correct team.
IndiaBravo
Grafter

hehe
Broadband Troubleshooter - Error
There's been a problem
Please try using the Broadband Troubleshooter again in a short while

I'll post up the ticket number when it works  Wink