Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 problems in 1 for Plusnet!

hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

3 problems in 1 for Plusnet!

Hi all
I tried tackling one PN problem and seem to have ended up with three!  Roll_eyes  Grateful for your thoughts on all of this:
Problem (1): I noticed that download & upload speeds have been dire for some time now 2.75 mbps and 0.265 mbps respectively.. Well below the advertised max of 8mbps. Cry  NB I have a direct cable link phone socket-router-PC so no wireless issues.
Problem (2): So, I downloaded PlusNet Assist but it claims I have an incompatible browser so it refuses to work for me. NB I only have Firefox which IS a compatible browser. Cry
Problem (3): I tried emailing PN's technical people because I hate hanging on the phone interminably but apparently this is no longer possible?  Cry
This is all very frustrating. Is this the start of an ever-decreasing circles scenario?
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 3 problems in 1 for Plusnet!

Taking the last two
Plusnet Assist is absolutely no use for the problem you have (the fact that I don't think it is of any use at all is another thing)
You have never been able to contact Plusnet by email
You always had to do it via the ticket system
First problem
For a speed fault you should start here https://faults.plus.net
However if we can offer advice or assistance we will so can you provide the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Phew - glad Jim's post actually appeared before I started typing my reply because I was going to say almost exactly the same! Just to add a few comments.
I've been with Plusnet since Nov 2001 and never in all that time have you been able to contact them by email.
There is absolutely nothing that Plusnet Assist does that can't be done directly given the correct guidance (which we can give). There are some occasions when PN Assist cocks up non-standard configurations which the user has set up for particular reasons. Most experienced PN users wouldn't touch PN Assist with a barge pole.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hollytree
Rising Star

Hello again, Old Jim & Jelv
It's becoming a fact of life that I end up here after getting absolutely nowhere with the official PN website.
Your/Jelv's responses re Plusnet Assist made me chuckle ;D: the first bit of advice that I found on PN's website for speed problems is that you should download Plusnet Assist so that it can identify any issues with your PC!!  So thanks guys - at least I can get rid of that useless waste of space on my hard drive. Smiley
You're right of course to refer to the term "ticketing system" rather than "emails". PN has always replied to my ticketed queries via email which possibly accounts for my hasty misuse of the term. Duly noted.
Thanks for the link re fault issues; I'll try that first although somehow I think I'll end up back here Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Hollytree,
If you can gather and post the information requested under the speed issues thread at the top of this forum, then a number of the forum regulars might be able to assist quicker than the support channel.  It also provides visibility to the PlusNet DCT.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@hollytree - I've just tried running a test on your line but it's showing that your router is switched off? Is this the case, if so, are you able to leave this switched on?
hollytree
Rising Star

@ Chris Pettit
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but it seems I hadn't correctly set up the "notification of replies by email" option and so I had no idea you'd even contacted me. Sad
Reason for the router being switched off was nowt to do with me. There have been mains electrical supply problems since early July in my neck of the woods, causing occasional power cuts to our house among others. The problem may well be sorted now so feel free to try again!
hollytree
Rising Star

Hi Kevin
Sorry for the delay in replying - but I had no idea you'd responded to me. I thought I was set up to receive email notifications
Anyhoo, thanks for your helpful comment which is duly noted.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi hollytree,
I've just placed an order to move your connection from ADSL1 to ADSL2+. As the length of your line is actually really quite short, you'll almost certainly benefit from an increase in speeds. That should complete overnight tonight for you, let us know how your speeds differ from then onwards.
Quote from: hollytree

Problem (2): So, I downloaded PlusNet Assist but it claims I have an incompatible browser so it refuses to work for me. NB I only have Firefox which IS a compatible browser. Cry

This might help with Plusnet Assist: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123179.msg1071948.html#msg1071948 however, please note, that you will need to have Internet Explorer installed for this to work.
hollytree
Rising Star

Hi Chris Pettit
Thanks for moving my connection to ADSL2. It seems to have done the trick  Smiley  Tested this afternoon and this evening, and DL speed has more than doubled : now around 6.73
UL speed 0.98, that's more than 3 times what it was.
Much appreciated!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hollytree,
Glad to hear Chris has sorted that out for you! If you have any further queries don't hesitate to give us a shout! Smiley