cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Weeks After Activation, Still No Service!!!!! Staff Please Help!!

whely

3 Weeks After Activation, Still No Service!!!!! Staff Please Help!!

Username: Whely89
We're very close to cancelling our agreement with you now. Nearly 3 weeks now, still no working service.
We've been sent another modem, which hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.
We will be able to connected for about 30 seconds then it would just turn off but at first it looked like an authentication error now it's off 90% of the time and 10% of the time we get a couple of mins of working net.
I'm absolutely at the end of my tether. Staff are unable to figure anything out and we have to wait 3 days for them to call us after each fault we log which quite frankly isn't good enough. We're paying for a service that we can't even use. If this doesn't get sorted in the next day or so, we will be cancelling and we won't be paying anything to get out of the contract either as the service hasn't even started yet.
Plusnet - may not be beaten on price but I assure you that you WILL be beaten on quality and customer service.
I think you should spend less of billboard ads and put more money into customer service and fault repairing.
I'm disgusted.
Ste.
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All Caps title edited as per forum rules.
12 REPLIES 12
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: 3 Weeks After Activation, Still No Service!!!!! Staff Please Help!!

I'm just another Plusnet customer but if you read the other posts on this forum you will see that what is effective in your circumstances is a systematic approach to fault finding.  You can take your custom elsewhere but if you have a fault on your telephone line then that will go with you!  If you have made a mistake in following the set-up instructions (see below) then you are liable to repeat it.
There is a standard procedure to follow where you locate your BT master socket, remove the faceplate, check that this has disconnected all your telephone extensions, plug the router into the test socket behind the faceplate (via a filter) and see if things get better.  Assuming you have followed this procedure with both the routers you were sent then we know your problem isn't a router fault so it must be a fault on your phone line.  What's it like for voice calls, any pops and crackles?  If it is quiet and once you have informed Plusnet you have worked your way through their standard test procedure they will arrange for a BT engineer to check the line if the fault remains.
If you have not yet worked your way though this fault-finding procedure, are you sure you haven't done something careless like forgetting to fit the ADSL filters on all the phone sockets in use?  You only get sent two filters but you might need more.  Don't forget the Sky box, if you have one.
whely

ReedRichards, just a few things you should know, as you know nothing about my case:

1) I've tried the softly, softly, nice approach and that didn't work, hence this last cry for help.
2) There is NO fault on the line, as it has been tested again, and again and the test results sent to us
3) I've had the equipment plugged into the master socket the day I got it. I always do anyway. The extension sockets have all been tested by our apartment maintenance too.
4) Voice calls are flawless in clarity

I appreciate your reply and appreciate that you may feel the need to belittle me because of my initial post rant but I assure you, I can use ADSL filters with no problems. As stated in my post, we've had the internet working briefly so I know it's there. The longest we've had connected is a good 20 minutes.

Oh and also, my friend referred us to Plusnet and his sister at the same time. Funnily enough, she had the same problems and incompetence from Plusnet.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

No intention to belittle.  I didn't say plug the router into the Master Socket, I said remove the faceplate from the Master Socket and plug the router into the test socket behind it.  If you really did this, and you tried more than one router then you must  have a (broadband) fault on the line, or a faulty bit of equipment in the telephone exchange.     
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd agree with ReedRichards - you must plug the filter in to the test socket and see how things go from there. I wouldn't place any significance whatsoever on the apartment maintenance saying the extension is OK - there's no way whatsoever that they would have the right equipment to give it a clean bill of health for ADSL use.
When you use the test socket the extension socket should be dead - if it isn't it's wired up wrongly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Sorry to hear of the problems you've had so far. I've just taken a look over your account and it seems like you're connected and have been for over 9 hours? Prior to that we saw a number of incorrect password errors coming through.
Are you able to browse at the moment? What lights are lit on the router?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The plot thickens! 
I once saw a computer with a faulty power supply that would create so much interference that the router would lose sync as soon as you switched the computer on!  In which case the connection would be stable until you actually tried to use it!!!  But that was not with the router plugged in to the test socket.
phile
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
the router would lose sync as soon as you switched the computer on!

Indeed, I have that very problem with one of my PCs - the moment you switch it on, the noise margin on the line drops 4-5dB. Darned nuisance as it means I'll probably have to get a new power supply for it.
However, it would explain how an apparently healthy connection falls apart when you actually try to use it. Maybe you could borrow someone else's PC/laptop to try your connection?
Phil
whely

I wish I was at home at the time of your post to try it but can only take your word for that.
That aside, we have no connection now, can you check your log again please Chris.
Thanks, Ste
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi whely,
Your logs for the past couple of days are here:

It looks like there was a short drop when you posted, but things do seem to be a lot more stable than they were.
whely

Thanks for the logs Matt, do you know of any reason why we're experiencing drops?
I mean, is it normal in a sense to have these?
Thanks,
Ste
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: whely
do you know of any reason why we're experiencing drops?
I mean, is it normal in a sense to have these?

I was once visiting a client with an old Speedtouch broadband modem and there was a thunderstorm nearby.  Every time there was a lightning strike the modem lost the connection.  So a burst of static on the line could cause a drop.
I was going to boast that my modem often holds a connection for a few hundred hours but when I looked just now it turns out it lost the connection five hours ago in the middle of the night.   
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi whely,
I've just had a look at your account and will ask one fo the faults team to take a look for you.
Broadband can drop occasionally which wouldn't cause any harm to your connection but if you think it is dropping too often then have a look at our troubleshooting guide for a bit more information.
Jojo Smiley