Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Home Signal (similar to Vodafone Sure Signal) Not working

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

3 Home Signal (similar to Vodafone Sure Signal) Not working

Hi
I have been trying to set up my 3 home signal femtocell 3g signal booster without much success.
My Vodafone suresignal works OK with my full network setup.
I have tried my current network setup,(lots of networked devices) with the plusnet firewall https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall set to off, low (disconnect between settings)
I have also tried another setup with just an adsl router and the 3 homesignal attached.
The settings 3 support have asked my to verify
1) MTU = 1500 (checked OK)
2) All ports not blocked (plusnet end) (I need support to answer this)
3) No firewall (plusnet end) (plusnet firewall= off)

Has anybody got the 3 Home signal working on plusnet?
If so what special settings (if any) did they have to use.
Thanks in advance
Ian
8 REPLIES 8
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

Re: 3 Home Signal (similar to Vodafone Sure Signal) Not working

I just plugged it into router, waited for the lights to flash / stop flashing and it connected. You need a steady green light.
However, range indoors is very limited and speed is much slower than you get over mobile network.
It's really only handy for the numerous times mast fails and you are still indoors. Outdoors of course it's a useless black box.
There is a 3 helpline just for the Home Signal and believe it or not, they seem to know what they are talking about.
I'd recommend doing the full reset and starting again, no need to fiddle with anything in router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ask "3" what (range of) ports their device uses. There really should be no issue with the Plusnet Firewall on Low (there is nothing else Plusnet side btw).
ian007jen
Rising Star

There is a 3 helpline just for the Home Signal and believe it or not, they seem to know what they are talking about.

Well, the first homesignal  I recieved there was no sign of life, no lights or anything ; got my voltmeter out ant the power adapter was dead.....still took 45 mins for the support rep. to action a replacement.
The second phonecall (with a fast flashing green light) that was 60 mins of reseting etc.
Ask "3" what (range of) ports their device uses.

At the end of that phone call they mentioned firewalls,MTU and no blocked ports......I did indeed already ask what ports in particular, but I did not receive a satisfactory reply....just something along the lines "No ports blocked by your ISP"
I will phone again and see if another rep. is more forthcoming.
Ian
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you tried the "3 in touch" phone app?
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Three_inTouch
I find it works very well, it may put you on while you're trying to get the home signal working.
ian007jen
Rising Star

"3 in touch" phone app?

Yes installed that on day 1, it is OK but the battery on my phone takes a large hit as it is struggling to keep a 3g connection up and sms messages and call history now can be seen in two separate non syncing  apps.
Phoned 3 support again, and they have escalated it their end, so hopefully they will come back with more assistance.
ian007jen
Rising Star

Well........ update.... I am now on my third homesignal all with the same result not able to connect.
I even tried on my neighbours BT connection.
The only thing I can think of is my pings of about 45ms, perhaps I will try fast path.
Ian
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You aren't the only person that I've come across with a 3 Home Signal issue. Recently the last person who still has a problem (I'll check) was on Virgin Cable  Huh
ian007jen
Rising Star

Update.
Still not got this working.
3 support require
1) MTU = 1500 (tick)
2) The following ports open
UDP 53
UDP 123
UDP 500