cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2wire 170HG

youngpete
Dabbler

2wire 170HG

Has anyone succeeded in getting a 2wire 170HG to work with a BT voyager 210 ?
The 170HG doesn't have a built in modem, just an ethernet socket. It's been working fine on a fibre trial that has just ceased. 2wire say 'set it to direct IP' but then I don't see how I can access the web browser on the 210 to bring up the connection.
I guess the sensible answer is to go and buy a wireless ADSL router, but I'm loath to throw away decent kit unless it's absolutely necessary.
Kind regards,
Pete
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: 2wire 170HG

I've got a 2wire 2700HGV but i'm not familiar with the 170HG. From what you say its just a router rather than a modem/router. You could either try setting it to 'bridge mode' see here http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11608, but then i'm not sure how you would get to the 2wire mdc
OR you might be able to set the voyager 210 into 'bridge mode' and just use it as a modem see here for some info :- http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/other.bt.voyager.routers.php?page=all ( depends on whether the 170HG has the ability to supply Username/Password for a PPPoe connection ).
I guess either way is not going to be simple.
EDIT - i've just found the installation manual for the 100 series and its designed for use with a basic adsl modem so I guess option 2 is probably going to be the easist.
Good luck...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

youngpete
Dabbler

Thanks Ian,
Some interesting links there. Turning the V210 into a modem is probably what's needed , since the 170HG can do username/password for PPPoE.
I managed to get up and running once I realised that I could just plug my
switch into the V210 (doh!) , and I had an old 54g wireless access point lying about that works better than the HG170 did.
Thanks once again,
Pete
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Yes , I thought on thw way home from the office , why not just use the 170HG as a wireless switch!!. I forgot to post when I got home tho.
Anyway , glad you got something up and running.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.