cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704n router faulty?

p4girl

2704n router faulty?

Hi, just joined this forum - been trying to get a satisfactory broadband signal since being activated on Friday…
Had to factory reset the router as it wasn't working and showing someone else's username.
Using Macbook air. Can now access certain webpages, but NOT iplayer, Netflix, BBC weather page, BT wholesale speed test, hotmail…
Very frustrating!  Phone and Smart tv having same issues.
I notice from other posts that others are having same problems...2704n router involved.
Any advice from Plusnet?
21 REPLIES 21
jotojotopo

Re: 2704n router faulty?

Hello, I'm a new customer experiencing identical issues.
Other forum posts suggest that a factory reset of the router will set things right, however I've tried this with no luck.
Seems as though it's a firmware issue - I suppose either we can wait for some new firmware to be released which addresses the problem (but who knows when that would be), or use an alternate router. I've had a couple of calls with the Plusnet tech support team before looking here, and none of them seemed to mention any known issues with the router, so I probably wouldn't expect much of a resolution from Plusnet any time soon.
Does anyone know if we use an off-the-shelf router to connect to Plusnet?
ChrissyR
Dabbler

Im also a new customer with this router and having lots of problems  Sad
ticktak

Same for me too. Joined Friday, and having the same problems as others have reported.
p4girl

Well, we're no further forward - except that there's safety in numbers!
I'm going to get on to Plusnet support and start the ball rolling for an answer.
ChrissyR
Dabbler

Well I think that they have to admit there is something wrong as we are all having the same problems.  I have already been onto them about it and they have tried various things which have not worked, I am expecting an update tomorrow.  If I find anything out before anyone else does I will be sure to post in this thread.
jg321
Grafter

Try rebooting after 20 mins or so. I had the same problems and it fixed it for me.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hello everyone,
Welcome to the forums.  PlusNet Staff are not in here on Sundays, just the forum lizards...
Can everyone please be a bit more precise about their issues?  There is a recently reported issue with MTU settings in a recent batch of routers (or possibly account configurations) the consequence of which is that everything works fine, except for connectivity to some sites.
It is important that one is clear about the perceived issue: all OK aside from some sites points to this issue - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140151.msg1236228.html#msg1236228 - and the substantive one there linked to.
Perceived issues with anything and everything points elsewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This post could be the relevant one to look at
Quote from: Bob
There are isolated instances of the incorrect MTU being set by the TR069 ACS servers when a router is first provisioned. I made an ACS change that should have fixed things following a factory reset/reprovision. I don't know a great deal about the problem but I'm led to believe that it's been addressed in the next revision of the Plusnet 2704n firmware.

What you could all try is, do a graceful Disconnect by logging into the 2704n and on the Homepage, clicking <Disconnect> and then powering off the 2704n. Wait a minute and unplug it from the line.
Now, power it up again, unplugged from the line, and do a Factory Reset (pin in the back - see manual).
When the Factory reset is complete
Quote from: p4girl
......... it wasn't working and showing someone else's username.

For the sake of clarity after that you will see tr069@plusdsl.net in the username box. This isn't someone else's name, it's the autoconfiguration server. Do not change it, plug it into the line and leave it alone for about 15 minutes which should allow the autoconfiguration to put in your username AND correct any configuration error. Hopefully this will have solved your problems.  Please post back and advise.
For those interested in more detailed configuration of this 2704n, although it is rather locked down, log into it using http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html/
Anotherone
Champion

I suggest everyone see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139924.0.html
We currently have 3 threads on the same issue.
p4girl

May not help anyone else, but having had no internet all weekend, I went to a friend's house to use her internet and found out how to re-progamme my previous BT home hub router to work with Plus net.
It tok me about five mins and my internet (including iplayer, Netflix etc) is now working perfectly - and may I say - much quicker that BT!
So it seems to me the router is the problem.
Anotherone
Champion

Was the 2704n you were sent originally configured as a Router for Fibre?
Shame you didn't ask on here about your HomeHub, several people here could have advised you on what to do.
p4girl

Advice on Homehub DID come from Plusnet community - it's a fab place!
Nothing here tells me if router is for fibre -  should be for ADSL.
Anotherone
Champion

The box contents would have been different and there wouldn't have been an ADSL filter or lead, so you must have the ADSL version. Some were sent a Fibre one and told how to change the setting.
It's is reconfigurable for Fibre and visa-versa, but there seems to be a bug in the firmware not setting the correct MTU on the change over  Shocked
I don't suppose you tried the factory reset I mentioned in reply #8, but never mind you are on-line. I would factory reset it but not try it until later in the week perhaps. Keep your connection stable for a while and use it & enjoy it.
p4girl

In case it helps anyone else - I did try the factory reset option - read through the instruction booklet and followed it to the letter, but to no avail.
Using old router is working a treat.  But I will try Plusnet router later this week - I hate being beaten!