cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21cn - How do I know if I am running at the right speed?

BRABUS
Grafter

21cn - How do I know if I am running at the right speed?

Ok please can someone give me the steps and checks that I need to make now that I have been on 21cn for almost 12 days?Huh
I am happy to post the results up for you guys to look at.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: 21cn - How do I know if I am running at the right speed?

Log on to your router and look up the downstream attenuation.  Put the figure into the calculator here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php and see if your speeds match-up.
BRABUS
Grafter

I have attached some shots from Kitz, the BT speed tester, Plus Nets figures and also my router stats for the last week or so.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would check with other speed testers, I only use BT's to find out the IP profile and other sites to check if my speed is correct as BT's isn't worth a ....
If all give the same 9mbit speed would say theres a bugged speed profile, as BT's and PN's match
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
JamesM
Grafter

Hey BRABUS, its difficult to tell what speed you should get, for instance my attenuation is 29 which according to kitz gives me 21cn of 16000 and a ip profile of 14112. I sometimes fluke a 11000 profile but no where near what I should be getting. At the moment I have a 10500 sync with a speed of 9.2.
Another user has a 29 attenuation and a sync of 17000, I guess it just depends on how bad your line is from the cabinet to your house.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The Kitz calculator gives an accurate estimate of the speed you should get on a good line.  If you don't have a good line you may or may not be able to do something about it.
You seem to have arrived at a downstream noise margin of only 3dB, resulting in quite a lot of errors; I wonder if that is a problem?  You should also run more speed tests to see if the actual measured speed is consistently low.
BRABUS
Grafter

Ok so I have left it a few more days and this seems to be the new speed on my line  Cool