cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21N changeover info and speed drops ?

ARone
Grafter

Re: 21N changeover info and speed drops ?

Shame if they moved me to a new line route  and  that may have  caused the problem that also stops me from even going back to my decent 8meg connection that they cannot sort that without me needing to take time off to be here.
unfortunately I  cannot guarantee to be in at moment when they can call  really Jo even Saturday and dont know what I can arrange but I was really more than happy to have stopped on my 8meg adsl excellent connection or indeed return to that it was trustworthy , stable and fast nearly maximum for years
I have here the same thomson you use tested and working on 21cn elsewhere , 100% working filter  , direct into master socket that itslef  was all changed  year before last by BT  that goes straight to outside otherside of brick goes straight to the telegraph pole I really really cannot see this being internal and it is a shame that this day and age bt cannot check the line externally without the customer needing to be in first ,.theyve certainly done that with phone here  here in the past all seems bizzare that it was all fine with 8meg and now extremely poor when nothing has changed here besides me trying different routers just in case.
The problems only started on the day that you switched me to 21cn , this cannot be internal yet I now have to take time off work at cost to myself to be here anyway get it sorted and if I happen to get called out in an emergency when they need to get in I would then be charged a call out if Im not in  Undecided
It is a shame that customers who are happy with an 8meg connection that have no problems at all cannot be offered the chance to stay as they are whatever I chose to do now any savings by being with plusnet have been lost and I WAS  extremely happy before the day of change to 21cn  , I cant even guarantee I will have internet connection now when I need to use it before I can guarantee to be in at a time suitable for an engineer to call and I am sure that just like last time there wont be a fault inside.
Pretty sad really if this is the way 21cn will go around here maybe it is down to the iffy cabling outside  , I do know after today that I am not alone in having this problem since the exchange switched .
Im not happy at all but  would have been very very happy to have stopped on my excellent 8meg service whatever I have to do now is more cost and trouble if I can arange to be in
An engineers call   cannot be for a while anyway it was why I was attempting to get this sorted last 2 weeks as I knew I wouldnt be able to take time of at moment
Im more concerned now about losing my connection completely so I had asked to be put back on std adsl to make sure I have some evening connection if this keeps falling to a stage where I get no connection at all when I need it before then , theres not enough forewarning about these  changes in my opinion and there are people suffering same problems here with BT imo there should be an opt out option until its essential.
Its a shame our local council wouldnt allow cable maybe bt would do something about upgrading the copper I know for a fact that some of the pits here leave a lot to be desired and fill up with water regular openreach are always there  maybe Ive been lucky but no problem at all before with broadband whatsoever quite the revers you couldnt have got much faster but Im more concerned about stability really
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ARone,
It's something we very rarely do but would you like me to arrange for you to go back onto 20CN? There will come a point where all lines will have to move onto 21CN though, so it wont be forever I'm afraid.
Jojo Smiley
ARone
Grafter

When I called Jo the tech said that moving back to 2oCn now may not improve things now or guarantee that I will be as I was as they believe that BT are pushing me through a different route now which in fact would explain a lot .
Its still very low compared to as it was but  appart from  early this morning when there was the authentication problems
it is useable though obviously still at the moment much slower
I dont seem to be getting as many drop outs for some reason and at least can connect so can you please leave things as they are at least for a week  Id hate to lose it all together as that will create a bigger problem for me at moment or it go back to being as bad as it was a few days ago before I can sort things or arrange a call.
I had asked about  the going back to 20CN as said but was told 100% by your tech I did ask to confirm that it was not an option even when I said that if I was not on another route now I would consider migrating to another provider in the hope it may correct things , I know that seems a strange thing to consider but is actually a cheaper option than taking time off at the moment which I cant do anyway at reasonable hours for at least a week
I did ask several times for both the technician and your sales to confirm that and ithey said  it was not something that could be done now that would correct my problems due to the "route" change
I guess if I am on a different cable path now to the cabinet or whatever then as I understand it  the danger is that going back to adsl although brilliant before could now be even worse than I am now  , IF it is due to dodgy copper which is common around here for some apparently.
Please leave it as is for the moment until I can take time off or have time to sort things , I do know now that I am not alone in the problem in my street with very low speed or other  issues since the changeover so it might be good to see how they get on with their call out too  
It didnt sound  like going back to 20CN was guarnateed to put it back to as it was Id say yes until I can sort things but it doesnt seem that that is the case  Smiley
Its still low but isnt dropping out at the moment anywhere near as much from what I can see on stats here so at least I can use it , it did actually start to rise again but unfortunately had to do a reset this morning as I was unaware that the authenication problem was your end until the message was put up on support was unfortunate but as I couldnt connect  and Im on a new router   Cheesy
sorry for the long posts , thanks for your reply anyway  and for answering my ticket questions   the biggest frustration here early on was due to having so many "agents" replying to one of my  tickets  5 I think a different one each reply  and it gets confusing then if questions or answers are missed especially when there were probs during the training period
You have been most helpful too in the past  when family have had problems  so thanks  anyway Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI ARone,
As I said before, moving back to 20CN is something we very rarely do so I'm not surprised you were advised we don't do it. As these issues started at the time of changeover if I was to guess, I'd say it's not likely to be copper. When you were moved from 20-21CN your wires were taken out of the 20CN DSLAM and moved to the 21CN MSAN, so the move back would require the same in reverse. That kind of order takes 7 days so if you change your mind and want it doing you'll have to bear that in mind.
Jojo Smiley
ARone
Grafter

Ok thanks at least Im aware of my options now  ,
Well Ive had a connection all be it much slower than 20CN  according to my stats this end for 2 days and 3 hours or so without a disconnection now so maybe somethings happened / changed as the dropouts are obviously  less , upload seems still faster so  I can send out to the world almost as fast as I can recieve now I guess  Smiley
obviously   dont want to reset anyway maybe something will happen when it gets to the magical 72hours , does that matter now , should I try a reset after that stage ?  if nothing goes wrong before then now its holding   , would have been connected longer now but the authentication failure at plusnet the other night took me by suprise so  reset  as with all the problems and busy  tech line at that time I thought it was worth a shot to get back online didnt hear the message till later
Once I can get time off Ill make a decision over what may be best  if its not improved by then , theres a few around here had issues since the exchange changed too Ive since found and they are as close to the exchange as I am so Im  a bit shocked still that if they dont have a change in route to cab or whatever that alters the route to some houses that were  on   previous good near maximum lines that they do not  changeover without  problems , too much of a coincidence  that everythings fine and dandy until exact day of changeover imho and then youve got to wait at least the 10 days ,  I was at home during most that period  so that was  a shame   Huh .
I dont think that  21CN if its really this sensative at every exchange is going to suit my elderly parents who switch off several times a day and wont leave the house or go to bed with anything on standby especially as  the router has 5 lights , but what can you do , how do people get on that BT tell to switch everything back off and on again to correct bt vision problems regular get on with adsl2   :-[.
Would BT/ openreach engineer still have needed to get in to check the line if I had been direct with them for my  phone and broadband , I do remember them fixing phone line in past without the need to have someone be in all day  although I know that they can pinpoint faults with phone internal or external ,if a phone goes down and its external fault with plusnet does that require that someone is in all day too before it could be fixed / checked ?   I ask that for someone else I know it may be a little off topic
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ARone,
I know that certain phone faults that are identified on the external network will get resolved without the need for an engineer visit. I noticed that an SNR reset has been requested and that you were asked to reboot your router. The SNR is currently 32dB so that won't help at all. Did you reboot? Are you still in the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
ARone
Grafter

Yes Jo I am still in test socket with a new filter and did reboot as and when requested further to my call on Sunday please see ticket number 52537099 , line had been stable all be it at the very reduced speed for nearly 4 days so it was suggested now that a  request be sent to BT to reset the SNR and put my line back in training mode  as it had been "banded" , that would take 4 - 24 hours , for some reason they said that did not that did not got through and another request was sent yesterday when I called at around 4pm (see ticket).
So far still waiting what happens next as its not quite been 24 hours yet , line still seems stable but has since the 3 days with no disconnections has been reset after the 24 hours etc as requested but no change as of yet but Im unsure whether this request has gone through ?
Line isnt dropping for some reason now  , when I called I was told that that was one of the reasons that they were going to ask for a reset , maybe someone can update my ticket if/when the  request has been accepted this time
obviously I wont be doing any resets at the moment here unless requested and as said there is no problem being in the test socket permanently anyway as I have never had any extensions but current SN Margin etc  since last reset request which was done a while after the email I recieved as I did not arrive back until later ........

Uptime: 0 days, 17:13:14
Modulation: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 336 / 2,462
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 57.57 / 528.83
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 9.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 27.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 31.5
I am also  still using the router that was tested ok elsewhere on 21cn and did give me 13 meg here for a while after switchover date   Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI ARone,
I've just ran a line check and the target SNR is 6dB, so if you can reboot your router you should get it back to 6. Can you give that a try and if the SNR is still high try your other router and let me know how it goes.
Jojo Smiley
ARone
Grafter

Hi reset , it reset once shortly afterwards itself for some reason or your end ?  ,all seemed well ,  waited a while just in case  then did a  bt speedtest just it is now showing the following so seems to be where it should be so I wont be doing  any resets myself unless required , I am in new training mode now I assume?
See how it goes this time  etc Smiley

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.21 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 12.71 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
373 Kbps

0 Kbps 832 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 373Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looking good so far. You'll be in the training made since the last reset Smiley
ARone
Grafter

I know I asked this last time my line was in training mode but didnt quite get an answer but just trying to understand it all - does the 21cn training period go like the old adsl whereby it drops and then goes back up testing throughout the 10 day period  .....
reason I ask this is all seemed well was on genuine 13meg almost as stats previous both download tests and bt speedtest connected for many hours with no problem it seemed then last evening ariound this time  something happened I noticed whilst here a few resets all in quick succession which I assumed was just the bras system or whatever its called now doing stuff with some strange setting changes going on .
since then for last 24 hours its been dropped to 6.7 ish meg and bt test shows this , snr has also gone from around  6db at one stage to 18.3 dB / 11.1 dB.

Is this normal during training , everything seemed to be going dandy on the 13 meg  profile with no drop outs for a long while , stable as far as I can tell ?
I know Im in training mode again still but still confused to how it all works and obviously dont want to be doing my own resets unless absolutely necessary but why the sudden drop to....

IP Profile for your line is - 6.05 Mbps
from the 13meg profile when that seemed to be running great until sudden unexpected dropouts or the bras messing about is this usual...  this 21CN auto profiling system seems much more iffy than 20CN making it frightening to even think about resetting or ever switching off  Smiley
Obviously Im much better than was anyway but just trying to make sense of these huge changes even after it being stable or seeming to be whilst still in my 2nd training period whilst still giving it chance to sort itself in case  engineer isnt needed  after these 10 days etc if it sorts it and it doesnt go pear shaped again  Smiley

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ARone,
Although you can see fluctuations in the training period, I wouldn't say that was normal. I am willing to be proved wrong though. The only thing I can suggest is if it's still like that after the 10 days then raise a fault.
Jojo Smiley