Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21N changeover info and speed drops ?

ARone
Grafter

21N changeover info and speed drops ?

Hi , hoping someone can give me some info here ,
I have had a very very stable and fast vroadband connection for years now with any isp including pluisnet for over a year , getting about 7.2 meg  over 300k up from an 8meg line .
had an email saying I was going to be switched over to 21n on 17 th feb to faster 20meg line , I had not requested this but seemed like a good idea if faster still.
Out of the blue on the 16th the line reset down to 2.3 meg (had been on wiihout fault for 12 days when was last turned off for housework that shows in figures)
The line has been left on since anf although rising back to 7.2 meg / 998 once where it stayed for a few hours it reset itself agaiun 2 hours ago to 2,8 / 330 ish.
am I now on 21n it wouls appear so as upload when it resets right is now 900+ instead of the ol;d 448k but although I have asked this question with a ticket I just get copy and paste replies that unfortunately answer none of my questions .
I understand about the old bras training perion but is it right that my line should be inproving so slowly even droping lower when I had a brilliant 8 meg connnection for so long  being les than a mile from the exchange cab is literally straight line right down alley to exchange  Wink
at least with 8meg any drops seemed to quickly rectify on my line do I just wait ?
how has everyone else done with the changeover can I return to my faster 8 meg if this goes pearshaped , would changing ISP cure it if I am now doomed to 2meg on 20meg when I was 7megish on 8meg - crazy the extra upload speed wirh 21n I dont care for anyway .
bear in mind I am asking this so I know for future too as whole family and freinds I got on plusnet  will have or be changing and will bwe asking me as their pc helper , lol  Cheesy
41 REPLIES 41
dfunked
Grafter

Re: 21N changeover info and speed drops ?

That doesn't sound right at all, if you were on practically 8Mb before, then you should expect a massive increase on 21CN!
There seems to be something iffy going on here, so it might be worth posting the required information from here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
I wouldn't expect your friends and family to have the same problems as you (seems like a unique case), but one thing to be aware of is the current delays in your plusnet profile matching up with your BT IP profile... (see the following thread for a bit more info - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.0.html)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

posting your router stats and the information from the BT speedtester would be beneficial.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ARone
Grafter

BT test , its been higher than what it is now though but this is patheticly slow compared to what I had on 8 meg and trying to get an answer with a ticket here just brings reams of copy and pasted answers.
It would be nice to just get an answer whether I have been changed over or its been messeed up , support seemed to be good last year when Ive had problems with family and freinds I signed up .
I could try a different router but at the moment I am reluctant to touch it with speed dropping and dropping it was even 7 meg again last night as Ive said , resets itself after a fww hours  I assume something like bras test used to do but then goes lower , and now dropping back to less than a 4meg profile according to this test , which is crazy I really cannot beleive that my line should be worse on 2o meg and hardly likely to be a problem here when its been fine for years and only gone pearshapped on switchover day
But of course I cannt even get a reply to that question in a ticket (sent and replied several times and just get copy and pasted replies) whether I WAS in fact switched over or something has messed up , dont even know what I am on now , looking at upload as it has at times been over 900+ I would assume that I am no longer on my old ADSL package as that was capped at 448k but so frustrating when you cannot even get an answer to whether or not I was switched over .
Anyone here been succesful in getting  their old good speeds with up to 20 meg or gpoing back to up to 8meg to improve things Id rather that than this and no problem until this with any ISP , remaing on 2meg or maybe even less for 12 days just in case things improve , you just dont expect a slower service especially when I hadnt asked to be moved over and was happy with speeds before

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
2.56 Mbps

0 Kbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.56 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2.89 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
577 Kbps

0 Kbps 832 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 577Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since the BT speedtester does an upload test and the downstream IP Profile is not a round number you've definitely been migrated to 21CN, and upstream is uncapped. With that IP Profile sync speed should be 3276kbps.
At the moment you will be in a 10-day training period, though the speed variations you've mentioned are far larger than that should cause. Raising a fault ticket at http://faults.plus.net might be necessary to get things looked at though possibly that would have to be after the training period.
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi ARone,
I've just checked your account, your circuit has been moved to an up to 20mb connection on 21 CN, the order completed onn the 16th in fact. According to a line test I've just performed no line rate has yet been calculated which means that the training period is still underway so there's no point pushing anything unless there's been no improvement after the training period.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ARone
Grafter

ok I just thought that during the training period speed incresed slowly whereas mine not chnged for 2 days now since dropping , does speed not  change / reset after a period of stability like it used to , Im leaving router conected and I guess that is correct over these 10 days ?
Broadband connection details:
Downstream 3,275 Kbps
Upstream 611 Kbps
Connection time 2 days, 0:05:01
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, it's better to leave the router connected.
Generally speaking the improvements in speed are't generally seen until 3 or 4 days into the line training period. However looking at your connection logs I can see that your connection has been up for just over 48 hours now and no line rate has been calculated still.
I'd like to leave it another 24 hours so that the line will have been up for 72 hours by that point, after which I'll check to see if a line rate has been calculated. I'll be more concerned if it hasn't been at that point.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ARone
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

I'd like to leave it another 24 hours so that the line will have been up for 72 hours by that point, after which I'll check to see if a line rate has been calculated. I'll be more concerned if it hasn't been at that point.

for your  info still the same here , if I stretch my neck from bedroom I can almost see the top of the exchange , I know theres a training period but doesnt it usually try different speeds during that training periods , I dont know how 21cn works and Im first here in family to be swapped over  Id hate to wait 10 days on half of what I was on 8meg only to find thats its stuck and have to go through training period again , 8 meg was fine and stable really most the times nearly maximum profile always on download tests appart from a few hiccups over the years  Wink
Downstream 3,275 Kbps
Upstream 611 Kbps
Connection time 3 days, 3:06:49
ARone
Grafter

BT speedtest still showing this
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
2.86 Mbps

0 Kbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.86 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2.89 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
532 Kbps

0 Kbps 832 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 532Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps
does anybody know whether or not it is wise for me now to reset router ?  or not it seems that as this has now been stuck on the same profile for over 3 days now nothing is happening and surely something should be going on I dont think I ever synced as low as this on 8mb , yes I am aware that it is a 10 day training period but it is now 6 days in and problem only started on day of switchover to 20mb and profile is much less and doesnt seem to be rising , Ive asked before is this stil like the old bras system that resets and gradually ups the speed , I do not want to go through a ten day traininfg period to find that it was stuck or something and it must start again.
Can a customer return to  8mb at the speed  had for several years without  a problem raher than go to a 20mb line that gives less than half previous download speeds I ask this as several freinds and family are now also with plusnet and I assume that they will be changed over although not requesting it  
Can I go back to 8mb line if this does not correct itself as I did not request this change or is 21cn now the only option at our exchange with plusnet even if its slower for the customer  , Im confused to how this now all works on 20mb  , training g periods ,  profiles etc etc ?.
but surely 6 days into a 10 day training period on 20mb stuck on a profile of 2.89 meg when 8 meg I always synced at max and had a profile to suit always  acheived just below 7meg download speeds because of being so close to the exchange something isnt right here surely., is 20mb line worse than 8meg for some for some reason ?
I notice this has been said elsewhere and certainly isnt happening here and its been 6 days now......
The order has completed but the change isn't instantaneous. There is a 10 day line training period during which you should see some gradual improvement after the first 3 days.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ARone,
Can you tell me how your kit is set up. Are you using any extension cables/sockets? What make and model of router are you using?
Jojo Smiley
ARone
Grafter

I am connected direct into the master socket no extensions at all I am now connected with a definate 20mb compatible Dlink , proven working elsewhere too on ADSL2
Line and sync has been fine  for a few years until the day of changeover to 21CN when it dropped , sync was really low and I have tried another compatible router , but has now been connected for over 3 days without reset
I know you are trying to maybe help and have been most helpful yourself in the past when I have had problems with family in the past but my setup hasnt changed at all and equipment was fine until the changeover
maybe though this would be  better if the same person dealt with this in my ticket , it gets confusing when so different people deal with t I do I have several other working routers or also from family that you yourself have supplied that I could also try but have been asked to keep it connected  Cheesy  but I seriously doubt this is router related and there are no extensionswhatsoever  I am directly into the master socket.
As said It worked fine until the switchover to 20mb  but  has stuck at under 3mb since then a week ago
I have always and was until the day of changeover to 21cn  as your records show getting excellent download rates of over 7meg syncing at near the maximum on adsl 8 most of the time too in fact that had been the case for 12 days before the changeover.
I know there is a training period  but should it still be this low after 6 days with no change no reset for over 3 days until i did that myself to try another known working  router connected next door  at excellent sync just to be double sure .
if I have to wait until the 10 days that is fine Id just like to know if this is usual  , this may seem like mithering but I was perfectly happy on 8meg I dont want to get to the end of 10 day training and then be told something was wrong now you have to wait again for another 10 days  when I was happy with my 8meg  connection , of course we all like speed increases but I dont want to get lumped with a much slower speed
Is the training working correctly on my line , even though it seems stuck  , if it is I will wait but Ive asked this several times
Adam was going to check after 3 days connection which passed  but Ive had no reply to ticket since then , do I just wait  ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ARone,
I'm conducting some more intrusive tests, so I'll get back to you once I know a bit more.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I see one of my colleagues has replied to your ticket. Some adjustments have been made so I would suspect that you should see a speed increase in the next 15 minutes or so. If this doesn't happen then please let us know.
ARone
Grafter

21cn profile etc ?

Speed on my 21cn connection now started to rise after being stuck on 3meg for much of the training period  and have 3 days or so left I am extremely close to exchange and got around 7 meg on adsl and bt showing profile of around 13meg  with router currently showing stats below , any idea whether profile seems ok for these  and  whether I should now leave connected now  for remainder of training period or periodically reset
SNR Margin           3db Downstream    6db  Upstream

Line Attenuation    25dB Downstream   15dB  Upstream

Data Rate

14469  kbps

1127    kbps
and is there anywhere online in accounts that shows connections and disconnections same as like info we get in tickets sometimes , my router seems lacking in info and dont want to risk using another router just yet during training  now speed has gone up but that infos helpfull ?