cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN what will this mean us

puddy
Grafter

21CN what will this mean us

my exchange gets updated to 21CN mid 2008 what will this mean for me/us?
How fast?
Do I need to buy a new router again?
Will plusnet offer this service?
will it cost me more?
what will download limit be?
Puddy
27 REPLIES 27
James
Grafter

Re: 21CN what will this mean us

Morning Smiley
How fast?
It's going to be a rate adaptive upto 24Mbps service.  As it is currently, it will be distance and line quality dependant.
Do I need to buy a new router again?
That depends.  To see the benefits of 8-24Mbps you'll need an ADSL2+ capable router.
Will plusnet offer this service?
Once it has been released, yes.  We're not taking part in the Alpha trials though and we're yet to make a decision as to whether or not we'll be taking part in the Beta trials, which basically depends on how the Alpha trials go.
will it cost me more?
More than likely not.  We've factored in the cost changes within BT Wholesale (their planned ones) so we shouldn't need to make any pricing changes.
what will download limit be?
Again, this would be unlikely to change unless BT Wholesale make any widescale pricing changes (here's to hoping).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Jameseh

Once it has been released, yes.  We're not taking part in the Alpha trials though and we're yet to make a decision as to whether or not we'll be taking part in the Beta trials, which basically depends on how the Alpha trials go.

Given that MaxDSL wasn't really ready when it was released, let alone ready it was trialled, I can understand the caution!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Quite!
That's pretty much the logic we've used.
puddy
Grafter

James
when are plusnet doing their trials?  my exchange will go live between july-August next year will it be live then?
Currently the router I have is the speedtouch 716wl so this should be okay for 21cn?
Will 21cn be an other advertised "up to"product currenty I do get a max of 8mg  (exchange a cross the road) so what speed am I likely to get?
All my wiring is less than 4 years old and was installed by BT including all internal wiring.
Thanks for all reply's
Puddy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Would it be correct to say that getting a 21CN enabled exchange will only help those living close to the exchange?
It wouldn't be until they route some optical fibre out to the little green boxes that anyone outside the central zone gets a substantial improvement?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

zubel
Community Veteran

I think the rule of thumb that's being bandied around is:
If you currently get >4mb sync speeds, then ADSL2+ will give you an increase in speed.
If you currently get <4mb sync speed, then ADSL2+ will either be similar, or in some long-line conditions could actually be worse.
B.
James
Grafter

Puddy,
As per my post, we'll probably be joiing in with the Beta trials, or potentially not until live, based on how well Alpha goes.
When we have dates we will let you know.
I'll be interested to see how well long lines are handled.
paulby
Grafter

what speed am I likely to get?

If you put your line attenuation into this checker it will give you an estimate of the speed you can expect with ADSL2+.
Remember though that if you have a low sync speed just now (less than about 4Meg) then you're unlikely to see any faster speeds with ADSL2+.
This graph shows how speed falls off with distance for all the flavours af ADSL.
Be3G
Grafter

How does one find out when their exchange is being upgraded to 21CN?
paulby
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
How does one find out when their exchange is being upgraded to 21CN?

Have a look here.
Or you can use the Samknows checker.  The results page shows when you're scheduled to be moved to 21CN.
puddy
Grafter

looked on the site my download att is currently 3 db
so I should get 16 to 24mg
so I should be looking to tripple my speed hopefully
puddy

mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Lots of information on:
http://www.samknows.com/ or
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/
You can put in your phone number and postcode and find out your exchange and then see when it's due to be upgraded. Typically your looking at Mid 2009.
But as the man says if you're getting bad speed now and want the 21CN because you think it will be better - then forget it. ADSL2+ will only benefit the people already getting pretty decent speeds, pushing them from 8Mb to 24Mb. But you have to be able to see your exchange to achieve results like that. At 2Km my profile is only ever 3Mb, and thus I get download speeds less than this. Most people are in this situation. Up to 8Mb, the big technology con of the decade!
If your attenuation is more than 35db then ADSL2+ is likely to make little difference to your life. Actually it'll be worse because you'll know theres people out there gettings speeds up to 8x faster than you.
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are you sure that's your download attenuation and not your SNR / Noise Margin. If that's true you are on top of your exchange, it's next door or a couple of doors away, and your already getting full 8Mb. In which case yes you will get the full 24Mb when it comes on stream.
Firejack
Grafter

I'm one of those people who will see absolutely no improvement from ADSL2+ (apart from upstream). Really need fibre to the cabinet or fibre to the home soon. Getting fed up with the speed of my connection now Sad