Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN query

alexftw
Grafter

21CN query

Hello.
I have just checked BT Wholesale checker and although it states my exchange is due for 21CN upgrade on 30/9, it also states that my line already supports ADSL2+ speeds of 17MB. Several 3rd party speed checkers show I'm capable of 8Mb/s only. I am on the Fair Oak exchange; http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STFAIRO
"Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 30th September 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps."
Can someone please confirm whether I am actually able to get this speed? I've checked with BT Wholesale previously and never saw this, so the changes must either be in the pipeline or it is already in place. I have heard of some people getting 21CN connectivity before their expected installation date... so if it is already available to me, how do I go about upgrading to this on my line??

Many thanks, been waiting for some better speeds for a LONG time Cheesy

Alex
19 REPLIES 19
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: 21CN query

Hi there,
It's the same story in the ordering system (just tried to place one for you). It offers an estimated speed for ADSL2+ but then states "The selected Access technology cannot be supported at this moment, please amend Access technology or try again at a later date."
Unfortunately we can't order it at the moment, though the fact that an estimated speed is offered gives me hope - hopefully it'll not be too long before it's available to order for you. I think the best thing to do is keep checking on http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome (or samknows) and when it says everything is ready we'll be able to get it sorted for you Smiley
Hope that helps, sorry we couldn't order it for you today.
alexftw
Grafter

Thanks Matt, great informative answer.
I'll keep checking. Is there a charge for the upgrade?
jpoore
Hooked

The upgrade to ADSL2 is completely free :). If you drop us a ticket as soon as the BTW availability checker is showing ADSL2 is available we'll get the order placed for you and you'll be enjoying ~17Mbps 5- 7 working days from that point all being well.
alexftw
Grafter

Fantastic, thanks very much.
one last question, does the 1.5Mb upstream come as standard, if your line is capable of it? When I used to be with O2 on their LLU (which was 16Mb/s), I had to pay extra for 1.5 up.
Thanks again!
Alex
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's upto 1.4Mbps, all you need to do is request the Upstream is uncapped.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Now we know here we'll request it when we place the order, though if you raise a ticket instead I'd definitely mention it there just to make sure it happens. If it doesn't go with the upgrade order itself then we can place the order once your upgrade is complete and it'll be done next working day, but it'd probably be easier all round if we ordered it at the same time Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

Chers for that info Matt & James.
I have just looked up my exchange and it says we get it next month so I am quite excited

I know you said ADSL2 is free, is this the same when you request the uncapped upload?  Also do we need a new modem or anything?  If we don't need a new modem which one of the ones you have supplied over the years is best with ADSL2?
cheers
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BRABUS,
A 585v7 or v8 will suffice. Yes, there's no charge to you for the ADSL2+ upgrade or uncapped upstream.
Jojo Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

Cheers Jojo that is great news.
Do I get to keep my same static IP number as well, it would be an absolute nightmare if it was to change?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, you keep your static IP too Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

That response calls for several of these
Spicer

Hi,
I've just seen that thread and since I am also on the Fair Oak exchange I'm going to add my few questions:
ADSL2 is planned for September 2012 but, according to BTs dslchecker, FTTC is enabled on my line. I already knew the cabinet supported FTTC, but this is the first time I see it reports that my line is enabled. It even gives me an estimate of 20.8Mb/s.
Now, I have some questions:
- Since I'm fairly far from the exchange (I get 3.5 Mbps on my current  ADSL (Max ?) line), does this mean that I'm likely to see the same level of loss on Fiber?
I wouldn't think so but reading another post, I thought someone from PN said something equivalent.
- The other question is for alexftw if he still reads this: Why would you want to go for ADSL2+ and not FTTC, unless your cabinet is not yet equipped?
Is there a downside to FTTC vs ADSL?

Last question: the Fiber packages on offer at PN lifts the £50 installation fee if I take their Phone offer as well. But I already have my phone line with BT ... and Plus Net being owned by BT  it really all seem so unnecessary. Now, just so we're clear, if I switch my line rental from BT to PN and give my £12.99 a month to PN instead, I won't have to pay a penny more to BT, or will I ?
BRABUS
Grafter

Switch your phone to Plusnet and pay for 12 months line rental in advance and you get it for £9.49 a month.  Worth thinking about.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

1) The losses on FTTC are between the local street cabinet and your property, usually a much smaller distance.
2) FTTC is more expensive than ADSL2+
3) I don't have a definitive answer.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine