cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN is there anything I need to do?

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: 21CN is there anything I need to do?

For now I would not do too much tinkering (which will cause drop-outs) as it could influence the overall speed. I know it can be difficult not to try and force the issue but the BT systems can be very temperamental if they see too many changes occurring.
fatdeeman
Grafter

I'll just leave it for now then, it is tempting indeed but obviously it's all about getting the best stable speed so I can't grumble!
fatdeeman
Grafter

Here's the mornings stats!
Modem Status

Connection Status   Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)             883
Ds Rate (Kbps)           15025
US Margin                 12
DS Margin                   14
Trained Modulation   ADSL2Plus
LOS Errors                 0
DS Line Attenuation   3
US Line Attenuation   0
Peak Cell Rate         2082 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast         0
CRC Tx Fast         0
CRC Rx Interleaved   0
CRC Tx Interleaved   32
Path Mode                 Fast Path
That's a good start, now onwards and upwards! lol
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Reading around you might try http://www.routertech.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4183
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fatdeeman
Grafter

I've always been tempted but the warnings are pretty scary even by unofficial firmware standards! And this is coming from someone who put magic lantern on their canon dslr!
fatdeeman
Grafter

I just read this on the plusnet speed guide:
"You can help the testing process by rebooting your router (switch it off and on again) three or four times over the first 10 days. You'll get better results if you can do this in the morning."
I take it this is no longer applicable?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

An occasional reboot should not cause any issues and may be beneficial but several reboots in a short period can cause an issue.
It's very unpredictable what a reboot will do - Dynamic Line Management has a mind of its own sometimes (as you have been seeing).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: fatdeeman
three or four times over the first 10 days

That's three or four times in total over the first 10 days (not 3 or 4 times a day for the first 10 days).
fatdeeman
Grafter

I did a reboot this morning, still the same stats as the last I posted. Does the fact that my plusnet profile is still on 7.15 meg have any effect on this training period?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's the Plusnet profile that is restricting your speed. If your sync speed is still 15025 the current line speed should be set to 13200.
fatdeeman
Grafter

In regards to the SNR margin, I'm hearing conflicting information, some say it's good that I have relatively high margins because there's room for improvement and someone else said it meant the line was poor, and that the margin is high to overcome this, which is true?
All I know is the exchange is something like 150-200 meters away, I can actually see the building from my front window it's that close! I know the wiring doesn't always take a direct route but I think it's safe to say I'm close.
The downstream margin has always been around 14 and I've always had pretty close to top whack speeds prior to the exchange being upgraded.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Being close to the exchange you will have had a very high margin on 20CN because you will have had a full speed sync (on a given line the as the sync speed rises the margin falls).
Have you had a high margin since you saw the 15K sync on 21CN?
fatdeeman
Grafter

It doesn't seem to have changed much, the downstream says 14 now but before I think it used to hover around 14-16, I might have seen it on 18 once or twice but I never paid all that much attention until now, I know in the days leading up to the upgrade it was definitely on 14 because I had been checking the stats more often.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Well the stats haven't changed at all apart from that brief initial hiccup but the speed hasn't increased. I know I should be glad to get what I have but I can't help feeling the potential is there to go faster. I just re checked the distance between me and the exchange, it's just over 100 meters as the crow flies so I'm assuming the distance over copper isn't very great either!
I wonder if the router is to blame, I don't think adsl2+ was even available anywhere back when I bought it so perhaps it's just a chipset limitation.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fatdeeman,
I've changed your profile to 13200 to allow for your BT IP profile. Having ran a line check I see your SNR is 14dB, which is quite high for such a short line. If you want me to look into this I would need you to plug into the test socket so I could run some more checks.
Jojo Smiley