cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile ACTUALLY IS updating as it should?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile ACTUALLY IS updating as it should?

I have been on 21CN/ADSL2+ for about a month now and every time my BT IP Profile has changed it has taken the Plusnet profile several days to catch up; not the few hours (Maximum 24 hours) that Plusnet think it should.  Does anybody else on ADSL2+ actually NOT have this problem?  Post here please if you are sure your PN profile rapidly tracks the BT one.
22 REPLIES 22
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: *21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile ACTUALLY IS updating as it should?

I imagine the Plusnet profile does track the BT IP profile within the 12 hours usually quoted. However how long does it take for the BT IP Profile to track the BT IP Profile when the latter changes? (And no, that sentence does not contain a typo.)
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If my router changes sync rate I can go to http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ and it will immediately tell me an IP Profile that is 87.5% of my new sync rate.  This must be with reference to a database, surely?  Plusnet however, cannot or do not access the same database for several days, typically.  If you want to say that there is some BT intermediary and it is the intermediary that is slow, then there is no need to be cryptic about it.  Or is spraxyt going to ask sparxyt and only reveal the answer a few days later? 
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You must have noticed numerous staff mentions on these forums of "profile mismatches across BT systems", and profile resets being tried to get them to tie up. Those were, of course, in the context of 20CN.
What the speedtester shows is the run profile but it wouldn't surprise me if delays in updating the administration profile that BT communicate to Plusnet are a major part of the 21CN update delays. From a customer point of view it's the total delay that matters, so immaterial whether it's down to Plusnet or BT, or both.
David
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I know what you mean and I have mentioned it here before. The BT system may show the change immediately but Plusnet doesn't seem to get the same immediate notification.
The difference between the time on my router, and the time a member of staff told me, was just under a day and a half. Add to that a day or so for Plusnet to actually make the change and you end up with the 3-4 days it takes for your profile to update (if you're lucky).
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

There is a long-running thread with a similar title asking for reports where the Plusnet profile is not updating as it should.  There would be no point (that I can see) in asking the question if this is a universal problem that everybody suffers from.  So I was just wondering who doesn't see this problem.   
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Everybody who answers this thread can see the question but:-
One of my reasons in answering it was that there's probably is no one who doesn't see this problem so the thread would have quickly disappeared off the page and into oblivion..
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi all,
There are a few other threads regarding this topic.
This does appear to be a issue at the moment where profiles are not updating.
We get a delta report every-time somebody on ADSL2+ syncs up. It's apparent that either the delta report is not coming through or our profile does not update, it seems to be that there is both at times.
I am currently collating a list and digging deeper into this as we do need to get to the bottom of it and have it resolved, as it is causing customers speed issue's and ourselves an increased workload.
I will update as soon as I've got some results/solutions.
Chris
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

We're still yet to find anyone who thinks their profile IS updating as it should.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You're unlikely to hear from those that it does happen to as it's obviously working correctly and not causing any problems so they wouldn't notice it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm finding it's a bit like the retail prices of petrol, oil, gas etc compared to the wholesale price - but in reverse.
My sync speed has been yo-yoing for a few weeks now, for as yet unfathomed reasons. The point is that the BT profile keeps faithfully in step - yet the PN profile is quick to drop, and very slow to rise.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Chris
You're unlikely to hear from those that it does happen to as it's obviously working correctly and not causing any problems so they wouldn't notice it.

I don't accept that hypothesis, Chris.  There are plenty of smart people who frequent these boards and who would know if the system works correctly for them or not.  So far, nobody has come forward with an endorsement so I think it more likely that the system fails across the board. 
GrahamC
Grafter

My experience on 21CN mirrors that of 4C:
the PN profile is quick to drop, and slow to rise (or doesn't rise at all).
waynem
Grafter

i agree
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Still no takers for anyone reporting that the system actually works promptly for them.