cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

210 ADSL Query

ajw2708

210 ADSL Query

Hi
I am trying to get a 210 going properly. At the moment it is only connecting on the 2nd - 4th attempt via the 192.168.etc page on the Internet browser. I believe that just by checking mail or browsing to any web page should get the Internet Connection going but this is not happening.
When the PC starts up it gets an IP address from the router no problem.
Once the green Internet light is on, it stays on; however when the PC is left for a few hours, the 4 lights stay on but I cannot browse or collect mail without re-booting. I do have the router operating with Ethernet rather than USB.

Any hints or tips most gratefully received.
5 REPLIES 5
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: 210 ADSL Query

Hi,
When the problem happens are you able to get to the router setup page, or if I'm reading that correct that too takes a few attempts? Also does it only happen when you leave the PC idle? If so then I suspect that the problem is down to power management settings on the PC. What's probably happening is that settings are set so that if you go to Control Panel -> System -> Network adapters -> Your ethernet card -> Power Management, there's a tick in Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power. Untick it and see if that fixes it.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
ajw2708

When this problem happens getting to the router setup pages is easy - and to the "connect" button. It is after it is pressed that it takes two times plus to connect.
I have changed the power settings of the network card to those you describe. Thank you.
cdplane
Dabbler

Dave
The problem you have given advice for is the same as I have but I cannot find network adaptors. I am running Windows xp.
Help!!!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

start -> control panel -> Network Connections
Or right click on the My Network Places on the desktop and select properties.
ajw2708

Just to say that connection has improved greatly - Thank you.