cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20 mb/s speed drop

skydemon
Grafter

20 mb/s speed drop

Hi thanks for sorting my line 2 weeks ago , since Monday my speeds have dropped by 20 mb/s I was hoping that it would sort it self out but it has remained 20 mb/s slower . Could you tell me the reason for this please as the bt engineer said I had a perfect line probably the best his seen....Thanks
90 REPLIES 90
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: 20 mb/s speed drop

Hi skydemon,
How are you connected here, Wireless? Ethernet?
Your connection rate is looking absolutely spot on.
skydemon
Grafter

Connected by Ethernet always , can't understand why my speed drops so drastically especially after the bt engineers report passed my line with flying colours . Is the line supposed to reset it self after after a certain period of time ? As this does not seem to be happening.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would you be able to run a speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com including 'Further Diagnostics' and attach a screenshot of the result on this thread please?
Your line shouldn't reset itself.
skydemon
Grafter

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would you be able to continue by pressing the 'Further Diagnostics' button and showing us the results from the next page please?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@skydemon
TIP: You don't need to upload images to TinyPic to post them. As you compose your post click Additional Options and Attachments and attach the image.
Click the attached example image below to see it full size.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
skydemon
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Would you be able to run a speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com including 'Further Diagnostics' and attach a screenshot of the result on this thread please?
Your line shouldn't reset itself.

What I meant was shouldn't my modem communicate with the exchange and increase or decrease my speed if and when errors are found ? It seems to take my speed away but it never regains the original speed , I have tried in the past to turn my router of ( leave it of for about 20 minutes so It doesn't look like my line is having problems ) but all this does is reduce the speed even further by 10mb/s to 20 mb/s . When the bt engineer tested my line with his equipment I had a constant speed of 83mb/s, he ran a test  to check for noise and other line faults but couldn't find any problems . All I wanted to know is why I keep getting such big reductions in speed if my line was so good and why doesn't my speed go back up once it has been reduced ?
skydemon
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
@skydemon
TIP: You don't need to upload images to TinyPic to post them. As you compose your post click Additional Options and Attachments and attach the image.
Click the attached example image below to see it full size.

Ok Thanks

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would you be able try connecting via PPPoE?
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
This will help us rule out the router that could be potentially causing you a problem.
skydemon
Grafter

ok just done that speed has increased,if I turn the bt modem of now ( how long should I turn it of for so it doesn't think that there is a fault ? ) will that increase the speed even further ? Would it be worth me buying a home hub 5 as I read that it works with plusnet ?
dick:quote
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can try an alternative router, if you have one.
Restarting the modem is unlikely to improve the performance, I wouldn't want it to have a negative impact on your connection rate.
skydemon
Grafter

ok only about 10mb/s of what I was when the engineer was here so happy with that as long as it stays at that speed . Thanks for your help....try another router at a later stage, I have a billion vdsl 8200n but that was giving lower speeds before the engineer came out.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem, it's worth having a look at the Billion Router again or the HH5. It'd be interesting to see what the throughput differences are between them.
skydemon
Grafter

ok i'll let this settle for another 3 days ( think I've read somewhere that's how long it takes to resync at the exchange ) to see if my speed increases after taking out the plusnet router from the equation.I'll then try the billion 8200n if I get no joy from that i'll buy a home hub 5. Once again thanks....... i'll post back in this thread in a few days with 8200n results