Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20 CN closedown?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

20 CN closedown?

Does anyone have any knowledge of BT's plans to close down the old 20CN network?  Originally scheduled for completion by end 2014 with a proviso that it would be retained for the 8% of the country (Mainly rural areas) where it would be uneconomic.

Several plans later and our exchange EABDF is still not on any upgrade list and 'will be reviewed' possibly in 2017?  My concern is that it must now be getting very uneconomic for BT to maintain this ageing equipment and even more so for the ISP's to continue trunk provisioning for what is a declining service.  

How long do Plusnet envisage supporting us troglodytes in the villages?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: 20 CN closedown?

I migrated to cn21 two months back, though exchange checker says:

BT have not advised a planned date for WBC on 21CN.

However, I only discovered it was available via PN when I had a tech. issue- ask them about your exchange.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I don't know of any BT plans to get rid of 20CN in my area - they have installed FTTC for some lines, but all the EO lines are on 20CN and I've been told they have no plans to change that at all (OpenReach's suggestion is that I raise the money to pay to upgrade their network for them).

A growing number of ISPs are no longer provisioning 20CN, but as Plusnet are BT owned (and they charge extra for 20CN) I suspect they will continue to support it - money for very old rope.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

How far away is the nearest 21CN enabled exchanged? From the Samknows map it looks like most local exchanges are also "up to 8M". Has any mention been made of funding to meet a 10Mbps USO?

David
corringham
Seasoned Champion

I'm not sure where the nearest 21CN exchange is - my exchange is NETHEREND, and now has 2 FTTC cabinets. However. there are currently no plans for the (many) exchange only lines.

The BDUK organization, Fastershire, is spending money to install FTTP in the Cotswolds, but are only offering satellite broadband to anyone wth <2Mbps elsewhere.

I do get the full 8Mbps down 832kbps up on ADSL Max Premum, but it costs me £50 a month (with the £6 anytime calls package), so I don't think there is any financial incentive for BT/OR to install anything better in my area, or any similiar 20CN Market A area.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

At the moment, there are a lot of places where 20cn is still the only technology available (including EO lines), like yourself @MauriceC. Not great really, but whilst this is the case we will still support it.

We're still automatically upgrading assets to 21cn, so as exchanges are upgraded with the 21cn equipment installed, your circuits will be automatically migrated.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
corringham
Seasoned Champion

When you say "We're still automatically upgrading assets to 21c", you don't mean Plusnet are installing 21CN equipment do you? I think you just mean Plusnet will resell whatever is provided by BT.

BT have no plans to upgrade most of the remaining 20CN exchanges to 21CN - for example the upgrade at my exchange is "complete". There are no plans at all for the remaining lines. I have been told that there will never be ADSL2/2+ at my exchange, and if I want FTTC/FTTP I will have to raise the money to pay for it to be installed.

Plusnet may still be automatically upgrading connections to 21CN where available (as it is cheaper), but I don't believe they are actually installing anything themselves. Or am I wrong?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I meant that as soon as the equipment in the exchange starts supporting 21cn, our automated systems will place an order to upgrade. Our suppliers will do all the physical work.

BT have no plans to upgrade most of the remaining 20CN exchanges to 21CN - for example the upgrade at my exchange is "complete". There are no plans at all for the remaining lines. I have been told that there will never be ADSL2/2+ at my exchange, and if I want FTTC/FTTP I will have to raise the money to pay for it to be installed.

Out of interest, who advised this?

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
corringham
Seasoned Champion

Yes, that's what I assumed, Plusnet just resell what's available.

As for upgrade plans for my exchange, that info came from Fastershire and OpenReach. OpenReach have helpfully created a crowdfunding web site to "help" people raise funds to pay OpenReach to install FTTP to homes that can't get it.

I'm working on a DIY microwave link instead...