cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 weeks with PlusNet, router no longer powers up

afi123

2 weeks with PlusNet, router no longer powers up

Hi, I joined plusnet 2 weeks ago and received my router before my engineer visit.
Now 2 weeks on, the router no longer powers on and seems dead. And yes, I have tried restarting it, using another plug socket and power cable.
Can one of the plusnet team please sort this out as I require Internet urgently to finish a project by the end of this week.
Thanks,
Afi
11 REPLIES 11
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: 2 weeks with PlusNet, router no longer powers up

First, welcome!
Now, stupid question1: you haven't accidentally pressed the power button on the back of the router, have you Shocked
For info,
- is it ADSL or FTTC?
- Did you move from another provider, as your previous unit may be usable if reconfigured?
- Make and model of router or modem/router?
The more you provide (within reason Wink ) the faster and more effective the help Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
afi123

Noop, tried the power switch nothing works
I have FTTC
I have an old netgear router from sky- which has been loaded with their firmware so settings cannot be changed (although I do know how to unlock the router to work will all ISPs and will do so if necessary, but it requires a lot of effort and time to do- especially when having to use mobile Internet to look up the instructions)
I think its the Technicolor 582n.

Thanks,
Afi
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Forget the sky modem/router, you need a  "cable" router (which the 582n has been reconfigured to operate as, instead of an ADSL modem/router). You need to connect your PC directly to the modem instead of the 582n and set up a PPPoE connection directly. However, that is beyond my level at this time, so hopefully one of the "experts" will point you in the right direction.
They will probably need to know your operating system for best response.
!!! Oldjim got in first Cheesy
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

In the meantime, I've ordered a replacement router to be sent out to you.
I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this must be causing you.
afi123

I'll give the direct connection a go and then use wireless sharing to turn my computer into a wifi hotspot which should work in the short term.
Thanks for all your help- customer service on these forums and via plusnet twitter is very speedy Smiley
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: afi123
Noop, tried the power switch nothing works
I have FTTC
I have an old netgear router from sky- which has been loaded with their firmware so settings cannot be changed (although I do know how to unlock the router to work will all ISPs and will do so if necessary, but it requires a lot of effort and time to do- especially when having to use mobile Internet to look up the instructions)
I think its the Technicolor 582n.

Thanks,
Afi

The router you may or may not have, instructions just incase you do.
DG834G V3 is a sky DG934G
put it into debug mode http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug and flash with this
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg834v3_dg834gv3_4_01_37.zip from the normal upgrade process in the router
afi123

Hi, problems again.
The direct PPPoE solution was working daily well until the last few hours where it's refusing to connect "could not find a PPPoE server"
The openreach box looks normal with the DSL light on as normal so I'm not sure what's causing this?
Any info from your end?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Having checked your connection logs it looks like the router might have been configured with the wrong password. I can see you've connected since and are still online.
Let me know if you're still having issues.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
afi123

It eventually connected a few hours after my post.
Anyway, my replacement router arrived, but came with a returns bag. Does this mean I need to send my old router back?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

If you could just pop the faulty router in the returns bag and that will go back to the warehouse.