cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 tablets still no connections

quintusIV
Dabbler

2 tablets still no connections

Huh  hello,  I have bought 2 tablet pcs in the past year, the first I sent back as I could not pick up the wifi on the plusnet, the seller said it was ok at their end?.  a few months ago a bought another tablet and same problem, no connection??.
can anyone, help, in non technical language, thanks.  Cry
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 2 tablets still no connections

which tablet and which router
myredhotcar
Grafter

Recently I had to change channels on my router after the channel I was using became congested. I changed to channel 12 and my tablet (Galaxy Tab p3113) wouldn't even see the network. Changing to channel 10 solved the problem. I have also had issues with the same tablet (different router) refusing to connect to the router in B+G mode, although it connected fine when the router was switched to B only. Right now the tablet is connecting fine with my current router in B+G mode so I am unsure why the error occurred.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Some tablets will have issues with any channels above 11.
Setting the router to open to test is the best option, if it can't see it then change the channel to 8 or 4 and try again. Once you have it connected ONCE you can play with the protection and type (b/g/n) since you know it can see the network.
I have had multiple tablets over the past 4 years and have no problems connecting them to any router.
quintusIV
Dabbler

hello,
the router is TG582n, well that is what it has underneath, like i said, no tech sense  Roll_eyes  , the tablet, some thing I bought , I think it is an independant make not a brand one, yes i know  Roll_eyes
hope you can help  thanks
quintusIV
Dabbler

my red hot car and hairy mcbiker,  well , eerr, channels,  the router is TG582n, like i said , not a clue and do not know what do , so you will have to talk me through this one, does anyone have a screwdriver??.
Now what I am good at is mending holes in sheds, putting together flat pack, using a jigsaw, and I am able to cut a straight line with a ripsaw.
thanks
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

put http://192.168.1.254 into your web browser
Then click on the wireless bit and follow the instructions. You will need the password from the card/bottom of the router.
myredhotcar
Grafter

quintusIV
Dabbler

fellow posters, advice is still welcome, but I have just put TG582n into search and found a whole host of problems with this router supplied by plusnet??.
A message to you bloody people at Plusnet, in the words of Major Richard Sharpe of the 95th Rifles;
" There may come a time when I may just not find a use for you!!"

And from me, how are you still in business???
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Do you use wifi for any other devices ?
If not, this might be a silly question, but is the WiFi turned on ?
There is a wifi button with a light on top of the router, the light should be on.
If not a short press on the button will turn it on, then a long press and hold will turn it off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

myredhotcar
Grafter

Quote from: quintusIV
fellow posters, advice is still welcome, but I have just put TG582n into search and found a whole host of problems with this router supplied by plusnet??.

Not a fan of bundled routers but are you sure the issues you have found are the same issues you are having? I know people have issues with wireless range but your issues sound different (you can rule it out by trying to connect your tablet while stood next to the router).
If you are unhappy with the router you can replace it but if it is set exactly as your current router it may not rectify your particular issue.
quintusIV
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
Do you use wifi for any other devices ?
If not, this might be a silly question, but is the WiFi turned on ?
There is a wifi button with a light on top of the router, the light should be on.
If not a short press on the button will turn it on, then a long press and hold will turn it off.

cheers little pengiun avatar, just checked-wifi light lit up light a christmas tree
quintusIV
Dabbler

thanks for the advice everyone, I will have a go and see what happens.  If I do not get back, best wishes for Christmas, I have given the tablet to a charity shop and gone and bought a smartphone        :D.