Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5mb line speed and only 600k download speed

twen
Dabbler

2.5mb line speed and only 600k download speed

hi,
Since moving to plusnet I have had a 2.5mb line and very slow download speed. Lag is so bad online gaming is almost unplayable.
Running speedtester tool several times suggests only 600k download speed.
Been with several other providers on same line/exchange and never had such poor performance. Are there too many users on plusnet now due to reasonable 5.99 monthly rate ?
Is the traffic prioritation affecting general browsing and online gaming
50mb download for me at the moment takes several hours.... not good...
Just raised a fault call on the site but any advice would be great.
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: 2.5mb line speed and only 600k download speed

welcome to the Forums
Can you state how long you have been with PN and what package youe are on
eccles030
Dabbler

This sounds like the same problem I'm having too. I was getting around 3MB a month or so ago, now I only get 500k. Wether it's due to what you mentioned about too much traffic on the Plusnet service, I don't know but I'm trying to figure out exactly why this is happening. I'm gonna rule out internal wiring problems first.
twen
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. I am on the basic 5.99 up to 8mb package....
Performance is very poor almost all the time and reminds me when I first had broadband several years ago with 512k connection and lots of people connected.
BT Speedtester reports my line is upto 3mb and 2.5mb line speed but downloads are 600k max....
Also noticed when more than one system accesses internet it slows even further I guess it is traffic prioritation to prevent over use....soon as I stop the other system accessing internet it speeds up a little (only to the amount above)....
I am an IT consultant and am technically minded but the performance is pretty consistantly poor....
Raised fault call with Plus net but so far just got back that tests were inconclusive....
twen
Dabbler

For info here is the speedtest.net result.... VERY POOR

http://www.speedtest.net/result/755893990.png
download 0.49mb upload 0.37mb
Not good at all
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Twen,
I've just replied to your support ticket. Tests that I've performed whilst you are connected to the engineer's test socket show an improvement in the synchronisation speed so this may hint towards an internal cause for the fault. Please perform the checks I've advised and get back to us ASAP so that we can proceed to deal with this issue with you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
twen
Dabbler

Thanks for your help Adam. As per my note on the support page I have reconnected the router to the face plate...if you want to re-test this for me.
Many thanks,
Twen
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Doing another test on your line now is showing an improvement in sync speed and also seems to indicate that your IP profile has increased to 2500. You should be able to see better speeds again now on a speedtest (may require a single reconnect of your router).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
twen
Dabbler

Here are the results of the speedtest since reconnecting to the face plate.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Twen,
I'm sorry to hear this and it's certainly unexpected as the synch speed has not dropped down so we would expect much better. I am now working with our faults team to log this issue with our suppliers now. Please bear with us and keep an eye on the open ticket.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team