cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB download limit

jpharkins

1GB download limit

I am a new Plus Net customer (on Broadband Your Way with 1GB download limit and 8MB speed).
I have been e-mailed to say that I have reached my download limit for November already.
I have never downloaded anything at all - I have watched youtube videos etc.  Other than that, all I have used the internet for is browsing web pages.  Between myself and my wife, we have spent a fair bit of time online.
Does that soud reasonable that I could have reached my limit for this month already?
I had to put in my WEP key to connect - so does this mean that none of my neighbours could be using my router to download anything unless they knew my WEP?
Thanks (in anticipation) for your help!
jpharkins
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 1GB download limit

You say you have reached the limit for November but the PlusNet usage allowance is based on your billing date to next billing date not calender month . Please advise your actual billing date.
Blackthornehous
Dabbler

Stating the obvious, 'downloading' is basically anything you do online! Have a look at a estimated usage calculator such as http://www.simplyswitch.com/broadband-usage-calculator.html - it's scary how the usage adds up. This might provide a clue as to how much download limit you may actually need. I presume you have reviewed your usage statistics in the Connection Settings tab. You might find the help pages of use http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/usage/index.shtml?supporta=viewmyusage
pcoventry76
Grafter

Yes it's possible - youtube vids can suck up more than you realise. even surfing of some webpages can be bandwidth comsuming.
As oldjim asked when is your billing date?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Also bear in mind the 1GB limit is a data-transfer limit, it includes uploads too.  That can become important if large photographic images are attached to emails.
David
jpharkins

Thanks for your help - I estimated that I probably surf for 2 hours a day, and that came up as 1GB per week, so it looks reasonable.  Think I'll add another 3GB on pay as you go.
My next bill date is 1st December, so it's pretty much a calendar month.
Thanks again
jp
pcoventry76
Grafter

is that everyday? 14 hours surfing for 1GB? that dosen't sound right to me.
If you going to add extra blocks might it be worth you considering Option 2 at £14,99? As you will already have spent near that on your PAYG usage - and you'll get an extra 4GB to play with
Speed regrades can be requested here https://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html?do_quick_pick=1 and it would take around an hour to regrade you, sometime longer but in my experience around an hour to 2 hours
you get the extra allowance instantly but it takes around 12 hours for the speeds to change.
Pete