Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1750 BRAS Profile gone?

SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

1750 BRAS Profile gone?

Hi guys (and girls),
Has something happened to the 1750 BRAS profile?
I'm sure I used to be set to this, but now I'd expect to be set to this but I'm not.
Various websites seem to suggest that a sync speed of 2016 kbps - 2240 kbps is around the threshold for 1750.
I've currently been connected at 2208 kbps for about 3 days and 18 hours and I'm set to the 1500 profile.
Here https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml#Sync, Plusnet seem to suggest there is no longer a 1750 profile. Has this been removed?
My SNR is currently fluctuating around 12.5 - 14db. I think it's this high due to problems with the phone line.
Annoyingly BT wont talk to me about it as they're not my ISP and my ISP need to contact them regarding internet problems. Plusnet seem uninterested because it's a BT phoneline and apparently as long as I'm syncing more than 400kbps it's considered acceptable! It does seem though that reading these forum people that were getting 6000 - 7000kbps but have lost 500kbps are being helped (which is good), so it seems more annoying that I'm told nothing can be done.
It seems to me that people that lose about 8% of there speed are helped, but when I lose around 20% of my speed I just have to live with it.
Sorry, didn't intend to rant when I started this, just intended to ask about the 1750 BRAS profile thing.
Cheers.
13 REPLIES 13
LittleReggie
Grafter

Re: 1750 BRAS Profile gone?

hi.
have you tried a bt speed test to see what your "real" profile is (as opposed to plusnet)?
http://speedtester.bt.com/
you might find this site useful too:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IP_profile_calculated
regards.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Thanks, for the link to www.kitz.co.uk, that confirmed that it thinks I should be on 1750 too.
I did try speedtester.bt.com and that also said 1500 (although I did this yesterday, i might try it again, but don't expect to see a difference).
Other speedtests also give me a download speed of ~1300kbps, which would seem consistent with a BRAS profile of 1500.
I'm tempted to try reconnecting to see if I can get the extra 66kbps I'd need to get the BRAS profile to 2000 (admittedly that'd take 3 days), but I'm a little concerned that when my SNR drops off in the evening that I might lose connection. I don't want my Target SNR to increase if I can help it.
Does anyone know how well a D-Link DSL-G804V handles low SNRs?
LittleReggie
Grafter

it might be worth waiting another day or so for the bt profile to catch up with your current sync speed.
it does sound like you should be able make the next profile band up, but only if you can get a stable connection with a lower target SNR than you have at the moment - something like 9db or less. have a look at kitz to see what it estimates your profile should be based on line attenuation (and/or line length).
you mentioned a possible problem with your phone line. if this hasnt been rectified, then you really need to sort this out first, as you could be wasting your time trying to get your broadband connection up to scratch.
i dont know much about your router, but my netgear can tolerate down to 1db SNR without losing sync. try running "routerstats" on your router to see what the range of SNR is during the day/evening/night.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

I wish I could get the phoneline fixed.
Plusnet tell me to talk to BT, BT do a check but say it's ok, although they aren't interested in broadband related stuff, just the audio side of it, so if the line doesn't sound noisy then they're happy that it's fine.
I've actually been considering asking for a second line as I understand Plusnet do this for £50 and BY may do it for free. However I'm not sure if this will help or if they'll join up the new line to the old one at a point that means they both share the part of the line with a fault.
When I first went on to ADSL Max I was syncing at speed around 3000kbps (a good few years ago), now I struggle to get 2000kbps but BT say there's nothing wrong with the line (Plusnet says it looks noisy, talk to BT). We had a really problem with the line that caused my connection to drop to around 300kbps. BT fixed that but since then I've not been able to get close to 3000kbps.
My friend who live 100-200 metres away is on Orange Broadband (pays £5/month) and syncs at over 4000kbps. It doesn't feel like i'm getting value for money with 2000kbps and paying ~£20/month! The fact that he lives so close makes me think it must be the quality of the line, isn't it?
I apologise if at any point I come across as aggressive, I really do appreciate the help. It's just been going on so long that it's frustrating, any time I talk about it now I tend to rant.
jack21
Grafter

Different routers have widely-differing performance on the same line; I've just been helping a chap who's on a long line, 68.1db attenuation, who is on Sky BB. His Sky router syncs at 1440'ish at SNRM 6, whereas a 2700HGV I took with me managed 2432  at SNRM 6 just a few minutes later.
Maybe a better router would help you get closer to 3000.
Also, I've found that once you achieve a sync rate that should get you the profile you want, its best to stay hands-off-the-router for (usually) 3, or maybe 5 days, to see the BT and PN profiles catch up.
Regards,
Jack
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Well, I decided to reconnect to see if I could get the last few kbps that would set me up for the 2000 BRAS profile.
In fact I reconnected at 2656 kbps. My SNR is now 10.
Guess it's now a case of seeing how stable the connection is like this.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

I've run the speedtester.bt.com test again and it now says my IP profile is 1750 (as expected). Plusnet still say it's 1500. This would seem to explain why the BT speed test said I was only downloading at ~1300kbps.
So it's now been 4 days and 6 hours since I've been connected at a speed that should qualify me for an IP profile of 1750. BT now says I have a profile of 1750, but Plusnet are still saying 1500.
Sounds like i need to go find a sharp stick to give Plusnet a prod with...
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

I left it over night to see if that helped.
I then phoned Plusnet this morning and they seemed about as unhelpful as they could possibly be. Maybe they don't like working on Saturdays.
It has now been 4 days and 18 hours and Plusnet still haven't updated my "Current line speed" to match what BT are now saying my IP Profile is (and have been for about 1 day or more).
I realise that to some an extra 250kbps is nothing, but when you've got a 1500kbps you'll take anything you can get!
[rant]
With the level of support I've received from Plusnet recently I think I'd have to advise anyone considering joining Plusnet to look elsewhere. Maybe I'm unlucky and other people get better support, but maybe I'm not the only unlucky one. Of course other ISPs might not be any better at customer support, but they may at least be cheaper.
[/rant]
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Plusnets profiling should update every 12 hours. I've been getting the impression that recently a number of people have found it taking 24hrs.
Check the BT one again, then go to the Member Centre once more, and see if it's now matching.
If not, ring the sheffield number in my sig line, select BB faults and complain that you PN profile seems to be stuck, can they manually update it, which can be done there and then. If you get any bull about waiting 3 days etc, ask to speak to the line manager, and say you want it done now.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

I checked again at 19:11 and the Plusnet profile has now updated to 1750.
I might have occurred a little bit earlier than that but it seems like it took nearly 5 days to update. The BT one updated after about 3.
I would've mentioned this earlier, but I didn't want it to seem like I was bumping my own thread back to the top.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Well, did another speedtest with speedtester.bt.com and it's now reporting my IP Profile as 2000kbps.
Can you guess what Plusnet is saying it is? Yep, still 1750, which they only just got to yesterday.
Am I gonna have to wait another 5 days for Plusnet to update this? I've sent a ticket, maybe that will speed things along, although apparently it's taking 45 hours to answer a ticket at the minute!
This is getting ridiculous!
There has got to be a better ISP than this surely?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ticket response was less than 4 hrs when I looked last night Shocked
PN profile should be up within 12 hrs., if it isn't post back here.
Under normal circumstances I doubt you'd find a better ISP Lips_are_sealed
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

In case anyone's interested...
Thanks to the ticket I raised (I think) Plusnet have now updated my 'Current line speed'.
So I guess I'm happy enough for the minute.  Smiley