cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 day cooling off period

cbatoday
Grafter

14 day cooling off period

Why do internet providers only give you 14 days to leave if you are not happy yet you have to give broadband 10 days to get a true reflection of the speeds you may get
7 REPLIES 7
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Re: 14 day cooling off period

That is because they have to give you time to review your decision. It is 14 days from the day after you place your order and not from when the service is connected. There is no "Try Before You Buy" offer to my knowledge.

Evan

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

There is no "Try Before You Buy" offer to my knowledge

I have forgotten which one, but there is an ISP that recently stated if you're not happy with the service over a 30 day period, you can leave them, so guess it's kinda a buy, then try, leave and buy from a.n.other.

agedgopher
All Star

@DS 

Delving into the murky depths of my memory, I believe that it is Vodaphone. What terms and conditions they apply I do not know.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Ironically 'it' was on a TV lastnight.... But because Plusnet are a wonderful provider*, I overlooked (actually forgot, but yes I think you're right) who they were. I too have not dug into the terms of this new 'feature', but guess it could be because at least two of V'phones adverts was banned by the ASA...?

Hoping all the other ISPs soon follow suit, as I do believe it's a good thing for an end user to know there is 'the easy option' should one have connection/speed issues.

*ignoring my issues with their TV offerings when I first signed up, a few wobbles with the account, the random drops in the connection, the 3 routers thus far, the 5/6 recent OR visits and the debate of do we stay or do we go.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Vodafone give a 30 day guarantee (or used to) as I used it t move here.

agedgopher
All Star

@DS 

I have had no real problems with Plusnet, been with them since about 2012. Only one issue I recall was with the TV add-on. About 3 months after I subscribed an update was applied to the service which resulted in a string of error messages and I was unable to use the service at all. An engineer brought out a new Youview + box which also did not work and gave the same error messages.

I was lied to by a Cs representative and ultimately my subscriptions were refunded and a goodwill gesture applied to the account and I was allowed to cancel the TV add-on penalty free.

I have never re-subscribed to the tv service, and never will. Otherwise a happy bunny.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Don't get me wrong @agedgopher during the initial 'teething problems' their back office division were faultless and the redress via their social team (forum team) for all the hassle back then more than covered the months spent slowly sorting them out.

Then less recent issues were sorted fairly quickly, including discounts again for all that time too.

I did get a 'bonus' of a second PNYV box, of which that one is now situated on my daughters bedroom (with the base channels now) and the other one is currently in use in our living room (just free to air channels and free to use players).

The biggest issue for me is the BB service - but that goes back to BT, from 2008. The most recent issue actually started in roughly February of last year, which was almost going to get an engineer out but my ill health (June 2018 ) put all of that on hold. It is all documented on these forums and I didn't pick it up until February of this year.

Now in my case, the connection itself drops, add to that their router (PNH1) and it was very difficult for me to diagnose. The 'threat' of £65 for a no fault actually put us off but in the end we bit the bullet and thus we've had a lot of OR engineers out.

Now, in frustration, which I'm sure you'd agree, having a fault run for other 12 months, I gave Plusnet an ultimatum, they (including OR) fix it or let me go, so they said fine, off you go then. I genuinely thought that kick up the bum would have fixed the issue but clearly they were either fed up with me documenting this or knew it was never going to be fixed - I'll admit I did tell them it wasn't going to be fixed based on my conversations with OR. Now since then, there does appear to be a bit of tension, but not from me. I was recently informed that the drops were not causing my connection to be unusable, which upon reading that, that really got me rather angry and I was going to email OR (again) and Andy Baker, to which I was told that the social team pick up these emails to Andy Baker, which did surprise me. I then asked if my complaint was about the social team then surely they can't deal with my complaint - I never got an answer:(

But moving on, Paul Coulton did surprise us with an email (after the question was not answered) and thus I have to assume higher management are aware of all of my issues.

I was with BT for many years, then Sky for 2 and now with Plusnet. Of them all, Plusent are the cheapest but that shouldn't mean we get a lower levels of service. If my connection stops dropping and upon renewing the prices don't jump through the roof, then there's no reason why I'll not be with them for many years.

Apart from all that, when it works we're happy with the service, but it ain't been a bump free ride.