cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13mb downloads and still buffering issues on catch up services

daro2096
Grafter

13mb downloads and still buffering issues on catch up services

As subject line. Getting sick of having buffering whilst watching programmes on BBC iPlayer
5 REPLIES 5
daro2096
Grafter

Re: 13mb downloads and still buffering issues on catch up services

Done a broadband speed check and it is actually about 7Mb. It is supposed to be about 13, 14Mb.
To be frank when I was living at my last address I was getting better service at just 3.4Mb. How high does the Mb have to be to avoid buffering issues?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
13mb should be more than enough to stream without experiencing the type of problems you've mentioned.
Is the connection being used for anything else at all whilst you're trying to stream?
Also are you connecting over WiFi whilst doing this?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
daro2096
Grafter

I was watching HD content. Whether it is wired or wireless shouldn't make any difference. It is back to normal speed expected for the area.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: daro2096
Whether it is wired or wireless shouldn't make any difference.

Except that wired can maintain the nominal thoughput in each direction (assuming duplex links) whereas wireless is very much dependent on how much of the nominal throughput is actually usable. The latter is affected by the volume of data going in each direction, number and type of connections at your access point (AP) and the number of external links to other APs which cause degradation of your signal/data.
If it's only you using the connection, the AP is set for a single standard (802 11n or 11g) and there are no other interfering devices, plus you have a favourable (solar) wind ::), you may get a little over half the maximum rate for the standard used Shocked . But you probably know that already Smiley
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
daro2096
Grafter

Well I would used wired but I don't have a cable long enough currently.