cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

128k speed cap

scootie
Grafter

128k speed cap

what sort of stuff can u still do when your lines capped.
i know p2p is blocked but what other stuff is blocked or unuseable.
will webcams still be usable on 128k its my main worry as i im starting to use skype and other cam applications.
any staff or members advice much appicated.
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: 128k speed cap

Hi there,
As per this page the only blocked protocols are binary usenet, peer to peer and external ftp, though all other protocols (web, email etc) are slowed to 128kbps they should be useable.
Hope that helps,
scootie
Grafter

Does any one know if an upload of 100k and download of 128k will run a webcam with a decent quality.
and plus net staff i checked the page u pointed me to then i checked the my usage type page and appears that im using peer 2 peer which i think the webcam is geting reported as i i do use p2p the odd time but after middnight and this is reported as daytime
im getin stearming which is just a little less than p2p usage with my limted knowledge i thought stearming is what a web cam would b reported as.
if my cam is gettin reported on your systems as p2p will this be blocked when im capped.
ive bein told that the acctivty usage page is a little hit and miss but if my webcam was getting blocked after ive bein capped is they way to get your system to report it proper like u do when ports that games use are reported as non priotry traffic.
zubel
Community Veteran

It very much depends on how you're using the camera.
AFAIK, Skype is recognised as VOIP so should be prioritised fairly  high - even on a restricted connection.
If you're using the webcam in other ways, these would need to be investigated though.
B.
scootie
Grafter

i do use skype. but mainly use  a web broswer based cam site so most likely then that would not be prioritised. works fine now even if its not prioritised why uncapped.
but would u reckon 128k d 100k up is ok for webcams.
plus net staff how have u worked out that 128k is a good speed to cap at. i would of thought that 1 1/2 times dial up speed is abit slow. Y not a little bit higher. i dont disagree with blocking p2p usenet as they will use as much bandwith as they can get.
and is your speed still capped on free usage time when u r on 128k.
cheers for your reply to a daft questions but i dont want to go over my usage limit if things that arent p2p r unuseable.