Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 y.o. PhyyR thread caught my eye

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

10 y.o. PhyyR thread caught my eye

It seemed quite inconclusive to its worth, but supposed to be for Broadcom routers. My Billion 8800NL has PhyR enabled downstream. When the original thread was current, there was also suggestion that it would work only if the DSLAM were also Broadcom based. Any later mentions of PhyR relate solely to VDSL connections.

From folks' current knowledge:

Does it apply to  ADSL 2+?

Is enabling upstream of any benefit?

Does benefit depend on DSLAM type?

General comments will be gladly received.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: 10 y.o. PhyyR thread caught my eye

I think PhyR exists for ADSL2 and ADSL2+, but not ADSL1.

Enabling it on your modem makes no difference if the DSLAM either does not support it, or could support it, but is configured not to use it. There's almost certainly no harm in ticking the boxes, for downstream and upstream, and almost certainly it won't actually end up in use and so won't make any difference.

PhyR is a Broadcom proprietary scheme, so can only work with Broadcom equipment at each end of the link.

There are some stats from an ADSL2+ connection with PhyR active here:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18325.msg331247.html#msg331247

Note the ReXmt, ReXmtCorr and ReXmtUnCorr stats.

Luzern
Hero

Thanks! Smiley

My router doesn't monitor DSLAM vendor. is there a way to find out,please? My router doesn't mention them

ReXmt, ReXmtCorr and ReXmtUnCorr

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the only way to find the DSLAM vendor is from your modem stats. I think the only BTWholesale ADSL2+ exchanges with Broadcom equipment are the ones that have been done recently, from about 2015, and even then, I think PhyR (and G.998.4 / G.INP) are not typically used.

Luzern
Hero

Thank you for improving my knowledge a little!