cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-day training period

barchetta

10-day training period

I've just had broadband supplied to a holiday home, but I won't be there for at least another month and when I am there it's rarely for longer than three or four days. Where does this leave me with the 10-day training period during which the line speed stabilises? Does the training period start when the broadband is supplied or when I first connect? Will I get anything like a stable connection if I've only got a handful of days to exercise the connection? Will the learning process start again when I visit the property a month or two down the line?
Any help greatly appreciated.
barchetta
11 REPLIES 11
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: 10-day training period

It will start the first time you connect.
Don't worry about not being there for the full 10 days, as long as you are there for 3 or 4 it will have enough time to asses your connection and set things accordingly. It may still cause interruptions the next time you connect but it should not really affect your use.
Do you know how far from the exchange the home is? The further away you are the lower the signal quality so the longer it needs to asses the best setting for your line.
samuria
Grafter

Just a thought
If you have a router you could set it up on a timer to come on every day for a few hours you wouldnt need the pc connected.
qwentyman
Grafter

Sounds great. How does one set up a timer?  Piece of hardware needed etc.
Very non-tech answers please!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

The standard TIMER SWITCH" obtainable from any good woolworths stores..... has a three pin plug on the bottom, and a clock face with "pegs" for ON  or OFF....    there is a three pin socket on it, where you plug in your mains plug of the router..... lots of people use table lamps with these switches to simulate occupancy of empty property at night..... Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you go to Woolworth, B&Q a Hardware Shop, Buy a timer plug/socket, set your time and off you go
Edit, he beat me to it, you can also get Digital ones.
qwentyman
Grafter

Re timer, thanks Pierre-Pierre and shutter. Got a couple of digital timers (for lamps).
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: qwentyman
Re timer, thanks Pierre-Pierre and shutter. Got a couple of digital timers (for lamps).

one of them will do the trick..... set the time,  for ON and OFF,  plug in the router, plug it into the wall, and have a nice holiday for 10 days, when you come back you will be all set up and running at "up to " 8 mb   ! Roll_eyes Grin Roll_eyes
Not applicable

I'd suggest that using a digital one is going to be better in the long run. Routers aren't designed to be turned on and off really, so you need to be making as little impact as possible when making and breaking the connection.
The mechanical switches have a 'tipping point' where for a few seconds the connection is sort of between on and off, with the current arcing between the contacts as they move further away from each other. This sort of current is inadvisable to feed into anything other than an incandescent lamp.
The digital ones work via a relay, so the moment when the switching occurs is much closer to being instantaneous, and is therefore less likely to have a negative impact on the delicate electronics of your router.
shutter
Community Veteran

An excellent suggestion..... I`m so old, that I forgot about the digital revolution  Roll_eyes now you remind me, the "arcing" caused by a mechanical switch, could put serious ampage into the item being switched off/on
so............ go digital  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Where you the one who put 90-100 in the poll  Cheesy
Not applicable

They are a little more expensive, but worth the expenditure if you want to run low energy bulbs or any other type of electronic device off them. (They are cheaper than a new router for example)
The analog ones are great for normal bulbs though, and shouldn't give any problems for them.