cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 day "training" period

mapletree
Grafter

10 day "training" period

Is there any thing I can do during the 10 day training period, apart from insuring that my wiring is optimal, to ensure a reasonable MSR/FTR?  I know not to reboot the router too often.    Would it help, for example, to reboot during the evening to ensure that the SNR margin remains high enough to avoid errors?  I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but my SNR margin drops about 3dB during the night (and recovers during the day).  I am concerned about a resync during the night which may raise the target.
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: 10 day "training" period

Pretty much it.  Daily reboots fist thing in the morning are optimal.
Or you could just get a high sync event and switch your router off for ten days Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks for replying James. You must be working late tonight  Wink
I'll leave my router for now, but it's already down to 3dB.  I guess it's the nights drawing in.  Syncing at 3648K though, which is the best I've can ever remember.  Smiley  I'm sure BT will think it's too fast and raise the margin soon Roll_eyes
m063
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Daily reboots fist thing in the morning are optimal.

Why first thing in the morning?
James
Grafter

It's when there's least activity at the telephone exchange, which means less noise on the line, which means optimal sync conditions.
I'm saying optimal a lot today.
mapletree
Grafter

Why daily reboots? 
James
Grafter

To ensure that the DLM notices and gives you the best profile for your line.
mapletree
Grafter

Sorry to go on, but why would the DLM not notice if the router is left synced all the time?
James
Grafter

It generally couldn't give a flying if you were connected permanently.  It picks up on resync events.
If you're getting a good sync speed then don't resync.  See how it goes.
I'm offski Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Jameseh
It's when there's least activity at the telephone exchange, which means less noise on the line, which means optimal sync conditions.
I'm saying optimal a lot today.

It's not really related to activity at the telephone exchange James. It's more to do with daylight hours BUT if you have some locally generated interference from a works or other local source that will influence when the noise margin is at it's greatest.
As a good rule of thumb anywhere between an hour after sunrise to an hour before sunset is probably ok, if there is no static (lightning) about. The best way is to monitor your SNRM for a while to see how it changes throughout the 24 hrs (weather conditions/pressure patterns can have an effect as well!).
James
Grafter

You're right of course.