Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 day line shaping

BlueMeany
Grafter

10 day line shaping

Hi,
Back to plusnet last week... not sure if I made the right decision, lets hope so.
Just curious what the "usual" plan is for the first ten days of service... I'm on day four and havent noticed any change in my router sync speed, despite rebooting it this morning as suggested.
Its only that my speedtest results are pretty naff (which I do expect on first few days etc), but with o2 my router was syncing at around 18000d/l & 1700u/l, so I am presuming that my line should be able to handle more than the current 8128d/l, 448u/l sync speed.
This was a normal ish speedtest with o2:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3084036279
Currently with plusnet its
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3149191602
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 10 day line shaping

You need to ask for your upload to be uncapped
For a bit more help please post the stats from your router - noise margin, speed and attenuation
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

...and modulation type

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BlueMeany
Grafter

Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation     20.0 db     11.5 db
Noise Margin         8.0 db       24.0 db
Not sure where modulation type is, its a netgear dgn2200
Like I say, not fussed at the moment as its still early days, but was just curious if the sync speed has even tried to be increased.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That answers the question - you are either on 20CN or 21CN ADSL1
If you put your details in here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ what does it say about WBC on 21CN
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Modulation type informs us of the type of ADSL service you are running.  From a TG582n (as supplied by PN) it looks like this...
DSL Type:	ITU-T G.992.5

It is the 992.x bit which is important - possibly a red herring, but given your previous high speeds and the current figures, I'm wondering if you are not on adsl2... The modulation type will confirm or deny that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BlueMeany
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
That answers the question - you are either on 20CN or 21CN ADSL1
If you put your details in here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ what does it say about WBC on 21CN

20CN VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Click here for further details
BT have not advised a planned date for WBC on 21CN
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like you switched from (up to 24Mbps) LLU ADSL2+, to (up to 8Mbps) BT ADSL Max  Cry
BlueMeany
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Modulation type informs us of the type of ADSL service you are running.  From a TG582n (as supplied by PN) it looks like this...
DSL Type:	ITU-T G.992.5

It is the 992.x bit which is important - possibly a red herring, but given your previous high speeds and the current figures, I'm wondering if you are not on adsl2... The modulation type will confirm or deny that.

Can't find that on my router. In the ADSL settings, under DSL Mode, its currently set to 'auto'. The drop down box has ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+. However, if I change that to ADSL2 or ADSL2+ it won't connect.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Sadly your findings in post 6 - as explained in post 7 - confirms what I feared, you are on ADSL 1 which is up to 8Mbs.  Cry
BT do not provide a 21CN service on your exchange - this is as fast as PN (or any other ISP using BTw offerings) can go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: BlueMeany
BT have not advised a planned date for WBC on 21CN

That would suggest that your exchange can only provide you with up-to 7.15Mbps on a BT phone line (with any ISP using the BT connection).
Your alternative is to see what other LLU (i.e. non-BT connection) ISPs are available on your exchange.
Try putting your details into SamKnows : Exchange Search, then click on your exchange name,
to see which providers your exchange is served by in the "LLU operator presence" section.
BlueMeany
Grafter

So my Xmas pressie might be to buy myself out of the contract I just signed up for?  Cry
Can't see fibre coming here anytime soon, bit out in the sticks.
BlueMeany
Grafter

Thanks for your help purleigh
I can't even watch itv player on my smart tv with plusnet, it just keeps buffering and stalling  Sad
I've just got to work out whether I now allow my current phone provider (newcalltelecom) to transfer over to plusnet before requesting a migration to sky or such LLU provider. Sky were a bit puzzled about my phoneline, but if I allow it to transfer on 16th then they will handle everything from their end (although the advisor was trying to get me to sign up for a new line!)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: BlueMeany
I can't even watch itv player on my smart tv with plusnet, it just keeps buffering and stalling  Sad

You must have something else going wrong ?  Undecided
My connection is VERY similar to those ADSL stats you posted above, my connection currently gives about 6.7Mbps usable bandwidth, but most evenings we have iPlayer (PC) + Netflix (TV) + online gaming (Xbox Live)  all running at the same time, and rarely (if ever) run out of bandwidth, and even our VoIP phones still work under that bandwidth load.
You should be speed testing at higher than 6Mbps with your 8.128Mbps sync.
Perhaps one of the Digital Care Team could take a look at your connection tomorrow.
At least you have the option to switch back to an LLU provider,  I'm stuck on 20CN ADSL indefinitely,  as BT are the only line provider and the local BDUK project isn't going to provide any upgrade to the local exchange.
Cry
BlueMeany
Grafter

Its probably coz I'm still in the 10 day DLM
'Spose I've got to wait until the 16th anyway... so will see what happens before then and take it from there.