cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 adsl disconnections required

scotland731
Dabbler

10 adsl disconnections required

I have today reported an ongoing issue with my ADSL where Plusnet can see 2 -3 disconnections, however I have been told this is an acceptable number of drops.
This is the first time I have heard this and also that I need to be experiencing more than 5 drops before any further testing will be done.
BT have already replaced my master socket and I am currently plugged into the test socket, but I still get the disconnections.
When I lose the connection I check the router which confirms that the connection has been lost..
my router logs also show I have CRC errors on both upload and download.
This is the first time I have heard that  regular disconnections are acceptable let alone that 2-3 is nothing to worry about.
I guess I'll accept that I can no longer play online matches because I am seen to leave the game by the other players.
If I simply have to endure this my next call will be to move to another ISP!!!
27 REPLIES 27
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: 10 adsl disconnections required

the crucial piece of information you have missed out is the time scale between these disconnections.
bare in mind that if it's a line fault causing this then moving ISP will make no difference as the fault will still be there.
provide the details of the time scale, request a connection graph from plusnet (via the forum), and post your router stats.
scotland731
Dabbler

I have provided the crucial information,  the support staff can see the regular disconnections and have advised that as far as they are concerned this is at an acceptable level and this is to be be expected.
I am fully aware that moving ISP will not fix the fault, but staying with an ISP who is refusing to accept that I have fault won't either.
What I would like to clarify here is :
Is this BT's stance on dropping connections?
Is this Plusnet's stance on dropping connections?
If this is Plusnet's stance then they are dictating that as a customer I must accept this, and I am unwilling to accept this as this is affecting my ability to play an online game which can take 2-3 hours to play.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

PlusNet of course know the frequency of you disconnections, but readers of this thread don't!
A couple of days with 2-3 disconnections is of no great significance even if they are consecutive days.
2-3 disconnections every day for weeks on end and still on-going would suggest to me that some fault condition exists, whatever PN and/or BTw's take on it is.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@CRT,
Can you please post a RADIUS plot?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: scotland731
I have provided the crucial information,

not to us you haven't.
scotland731
Dabbler

This is a very small snaphot, will post again later.
scotland731
Dabbler

Quote from: chenks76

not to us you haven't.

The heading for this forum is - Discuss your ADSL broadband service, including faults, speed issues and routers.
I am discussing what I have been told today over the phone today which is 2-3 drops a day is fine and that Plusnet will only take a look at 10 or more drops daily as a fault.
I don't expect for an intermittent fault to be fixed straight away, but the refusal to log the call bearing in mind that

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What do you want from the forum?
A discussion on how many disconnections within a period YOU did not state warrants an issue requiring investigation or help with what you perceive to be a problem?
What evidence have you that the internet actually disconnected rather than what ever game you were playing had a hiccup?
Looking at the BQM you have now shared, it looks like your line is very heavily loaded.  Please gather the information requested here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html - and post back if you want assistance from the community.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scotland731
Dabbler

Quote from: chenks76

not to us you haven't.

The heading for this forum is - Discuss your ADSL broadband service, including faults, speed issues and routers.
I am discussing what I have been told today over the phone today which is 2-3 drops a day is fine and that " Plusnet will now only take a look at a fault if they see 10 or more drops daily.
They may take a look if there are over 5 drops but apparently it really needs to be 10."
I don't expect  an intermittent fault to be fixed straight away, but the refusal to log the call bearing in mind that the new socket has not fixed the problem and the fact that his isn't a new fault
and not the first call since BT fitted the new socket.
I couldn't follow up immediately due to remedial works being carried in my property and having gas central heating installed, the disconnections on those occasions would have been due to the power being turned off.
I can only assume this forum is only interested if the poster posts stats etc
After restarting my router earlier I have crc errors reported already, I deliberately placed heavy usage on the connection this afternoon.
Below are the router stats for my connection, my router's advanced features have all been turned off as previously discussed with Plusnet prior to the BT engineers visit.
The crc errors have only appeared since the new socket was installed.
SL modulation
ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
Annex mode
ANNEX_A
SNR Down
8.9 dB
SNR Up
6.5 dB
Line Attenuation Down
36.4 dB
Line Attenuation Up
21.0 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
Data Rate Down
10579 kbps
Data Rate Up
888 kbps
MAX Rate Down
MAX Rate Up
POWER Down
0.0 dbm
POWER Up
12.3 dbm
CRC Down
CRC Up
I'm almost 10 years as a Plusnet customer, I'd like to think I'll make the 10 year mark.
scotland731
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
What do you want from the forum?
A discussion on how many disconnections within a period YOU did not state warrants an issue requiring investigation or help with what you perceive to be a problem?
What evidence have you that the internet actually disconnected rather than what ever game you were playing had a hiccup?
Looking at the BQM you have now shared, it looks like your line is very heavily loaded.  Please gather the information requested here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html - and post back if you want assistance from the community.

I posted whilst you were also posting Smiley
When I lose the connection I check the router which confirms that the connection has been lost.
I have a wife and children who also notice the connection has been lost and they will always ask if I'm doing anything on my network lol.
Plusnet have also confirmed they can see the disconnections but I don't have enough to warrant an investigation.
Are the forum members aware of this policy?
Would the forum members be happy if they had this response?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I can only assume this forum is only interested if the poster posts stats etc
SL modulation ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
Annex mode ANNEX_A
SNR Down 8.9 dB
SNR Up 6.5 dB
Line Attenuation Down 36.4 dB
Line Attenuation Up 21.0 dB
Path Mode Interleaved
Data Rate Down 10579 kbps
Data Rate Up 888 kbps
MAX Rate Down 12116
MAX Rate Up 888
POWER Down 0.0 dbm
POWER Up 12.3 dbm
CRC Down 60
CRC Up 17

It is not a matter of not being interested without stats, rather we THE COMMUNITY can only examine an issue based on the objective information you can provide.
Can you please provide the rest of the information requested there - BT Speed test with diagnostics, PlusNet profile figure, master socket type, wiring details and quiet line test.
The figures above indicate that the line synch is about right for the attenuation (length) however the line is being managed by the DLM possibly in an attempt to address stability.  Interleaving is set.  How long has the modem been connected to give rise to those error counts?
Any count of events without a time base is meaningless.  Do you have a PlusNet supplied TG582n modem?  Have you tried a different modem?  Have you tried swapping filters?  You can raise an on-line fault report here - http://faults.plus.net

Are the forum members aware of this policy?
Would the forum members be happy if they had this response?

That statement seems strange - I would be seeking more information, hopefully the RADIUS plot I requested will shine some light on the disconnection rate.  xDSL / PPP session drop is one thing - congestion which leads to applications dropping connections or running slow  (rather than the link dropping) are something else.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We do see the odd drop in your connection, but generally speaking it is very stable. There are a maximum of three drops on two occasions over the last couple of weeks.
This isn't seen by our supplier as a fault. We cannot see the causes of the drops, but assuming they are sync losses, we'd be happy to tweak the settings on your circuit to improve it. We'd do this by raising SNR levels which would decrease speed though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Tony,
If these were SYNCH losses then they would show in BT stats and invariably PPP session logs, though there are known (suspected) cases of micro-synch loss without PPP session loss being seen.
The brief BQM which was posted was horrid, what does this users CVLAN loading look like?  I suspect what is being reported (in the absence of router logs stating otherwise) as disconnections is either application session connectivity dropout or timeout.
"Cannot connect to Internet" messages in (for example) browser sessions does not always mean the link is down.

scotland731
Dabbler

Here are some router stats since around 13:00 on Wedsnesday:
Annex mode
ANNEX_A
SNR Down
8.3 dB
SNR Up
6.5 dB
Line Attenuation Down
36.4 dB