cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Day Test ????

englishrick
Grafter

10 Day Test ????

Hi, Ok I had Fibre installed Last Friday and at the time only had my long 20m+ RJ11 modem cable to use from Master socket to where Modem is situated, I now have my shorter cable I want to use would it be ok to disconnect the modem and replace with new cable or do I have to wait for the 10 day period to finish??????I have heard there is no 10 day with fibre but then I hear different elsewhere....
thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 10 Day Test ????

Just do it - but during daylight just in case
englishrick
Grafter

Whats the difference between now and daylight hours then?? and whats the worse that can happen?
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Noise levels are generally higher after dark, you may well get a lower sync speed. I usually recommend at least an hour after sunrise to an hour before sunset to give a bit of a margin. Drop your PPP Internet session by logging into the Router first - clicking Disconnect, then turn it off, then turn off the Modem and I suggest you leave it off for an hour.  When you turn it on, and then the Router, you might need to login to the Router and click Connect.
I hope your new lead is a twisted pair lead (preferably screened), and if your old one wasn't then you may find you've had worse performance than you might have had! (Although your IP Profile has been excellent noted in your recent posts, so probably no problem).
The general consensus is that there isn't a 10-day training for Fibre (it's more to do with whether OR/BTw will consider a speed fault within the first 10 days). I've seen instances where the Fibre DLM can be quite aggressive when it see lots of noise and errors including upping interleaving depth, and it may initially be most aggressive in the first couple of days. BUT it continues to work (as with ADSL) as long as you are connected.
So, if DLM has adjusted your profiling down because it didn't like the initial conditions, you may have to wait a while before it decides you are OK. It cannot be tweaked in same way as ADSL could, and as I understand it, OR/BTw are reluctant even to do a reset unless there's an extremely good reason.