JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: very poor

sounds like a dodgy router.
I'd recommend buying an 'after market' router (one not supplied by PN) and setting this up for moms use. The one provided can occassionally be flakey.
Regards
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The free routers that Plusnet currently supply really aren't that impressive, I'm afraid.
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Plusnet are owned by BT but have to offer a service that is clearly differentiated from BT Broadband.  So they offer low cost and UK (Yorkshire) based technical support.  The downside to low cost is that their current "free" router doesn't seem to be very good or very long-lived.  In fact it probably generates so much extra tech. support work that it was probably a false economy. 
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

BT has a customer base of probably 10-20x that of PN.
PN has had many growing pains over the years i've been with them. You've got to remember BT is investing £billions in their infrastructure and services(I'm one of the lucky people who so far ahve seen the huge difference this has made). Without trying to be disrespectful to BT employees - you do get some whom are... how should i say? Less competent than should be expected, or in terms of their customer service - are in more of a hurry to get you off the phone, than actually solve the problem - and are incapable of checking the basics.(but this is typical of any company, just with BT being such a large company, it just shows its slightly mismanaged)
Reading through all these problems people are having seems to me to be 99.9% a BT fault becuase they don't seem to have a clue how to run a telecoms business

Yep, Most problems are, but thats not just with PN thats with Every ISP that uses BTs network (now you know why providers like AAISP provide lines over Be* Wholesale too!)
BT is big, its engineers/tech staff can often be "not up to the job" - and sometimes that not even their fault (lack of training, poor support from management or just their management refusing to allow them to do the work, I know i had 4 visits from engineers before they'd allow a "lift and shift" and even then i think it was just to stop me getting them called out Smiley )
BT tell her husband that ADSL2+ is not available at this exchange yet

Wait for them to get out of contract, get them on PN - get your referral bonus and they can keep their Home-Hub  Cheesy Wink heh
Regards