JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Attenuation

It is a function of  length of wire and it's quality between you and the exchange.
It is a measured value and as such can't be changed unless you move house
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

However...  Wink
Internal wiring can affect the line quality, as can faulty line filters.
To find out if your internal wiring is causing issues, try plugging your router directly into the test socket on the NTE5 master socket... this is the removal section which will isolate any internal connections. If you sync rate is better and line attenuation is lower then you need to investigate the quality and termination of your internal wiring. One option is to remove the ring wire.
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JamesM,
As Peter said, bad wiring can cause high attenuation. Even a dodgy router can too. Also, you say you are using an extension. Can you plug into the test socket and see what you get there?
Jojo Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The phone company have upgraded my area to 21CN and it looks like they have put in more exchanges. They have put one on the end of my road about 100 metres away (original one was about 4-500 metres away)

I take it you are not in the least Tech minded?
by exchange do you mean the green box?  that is only a junction box, the exchange is that big brick/concrete building, also is the new Green thing taller that the other two and has it got slatted panels on the front door?
enter your info on this page and it will show you where your exchange is from your house  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

When I wired up my extension I used the Blue, Blue and White, White, White and Blue wires. So should I just use the Blue wire and the White wire ?

You should only use 2 wires. Terminals 2 & 5 are the only ones needed, wiring the others will cause additional noise to be picked up by the extension wiring.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

your extension lead should only have two wires connected, and ideally it should be twisted pair  
see here for the details http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi James,
Once it's on the new technology it will resync as high as it can go.
Jojo Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI James,
Although you can see the sync at a higher rate now the order is still not completed so it may not settle to your new speed until tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Stats look good... good enough to also get the upstream speed uncapped... but wait for things to settle down for a few days first.
sebastianpolomk
Grafter

Hi there.
Because your topic is about attenuation I have question to tech gurus reading it :
If James line with his attenuation (Attenuation(dB)114/205) sync at high speed (Data rate(Kbps)13335/440) what speed should be on my line if mine is as shown below :
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 23,140 / 14,404
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 14,062
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.0 / 4.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 14.5
I'm curious because with 3.0dB UP and 4.5dB Down it should almost reach maximum of ADSL2+ speed or am I wrong? (funny that with low attenuation -short line- I have so low speeds).
I already asked question but till now I'm still not satisfied with answers - and here are my old statistics - https://picasaweb.google.com/s.polomka/Connection?authkey=Gv1sRgCJLO4fe7j9LSsAE# (taken on Netgear DG834)
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley