cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.26 download & 0.69 upload speeds, this is a disaster :-( HELP?

stevieb58uk
Hooked

1.26 download & 0.69 upload speeds, this is a disaster :-( HELP?

So I moved my business broadband to Plusnet & it jumped from 1.6 to 16mbps, on the back of that I then moved my home phone & broadband, big mistake. I have been a customer for I think 2 weeks, problems from day one, figured they'd sort themselves out, they did ... they got worse! "Chat" is never open, a half hour call resulted in an improvement that lasted an evening. It feels like I've gone back to 2001 & am using dial up, as I can't watch any videos without buffering, a FB 2 min video takes 10 mins to watch & I can't even view the Plusnet help videos, or open some of the links, so poor is the connection 😞

I really thought I'd struck gold when I changed my business but this is so much poorer than the very "average" speed I had with BT. Any suggestions? I REALLY don't want to go through another half hour call...

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: 1.26 downlaod & 0.69 upload speeds, this is a disaster :-( HELP?

stevieb58uk
Hooked

Thank you for taking the time. I've since managed to get into "Chat" by turning off the pop up blocker. Thanks for that tip.

stevieb58uk
Hooked

So I got into "Chat" & 20 mins in the agent said I will test the speed of your line, 20 minutes later STILL nothing from him ! The "Chat" service is as bad as the phone service & as bad as the broadband 😞

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Diagnostics aren't indicating any problems. 

Have you made sure you eliminated WiFi as a potential cause by connection over a LAN cable to the router? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stevieb58uk
Hooked

Hi Adam, I am connected via ethernet cable supplied & router is connected to main computer that way. If anything the wifi on my phone, using the router, is better...  The ethernet & internet lights flash consistently, the other 3 remain stable, all 5 are stable when computer is off.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @stevieb58uk, the internet and Ethernet light flicking whilst you are online is all normal as it just signifies a transfer of data.
Checking the connection from this side there are a concerning amount of errors I can see and when flaring up I imagine would be the cause behind the loss of speed you're seeing and the odd drops here and there we are seeing this side.

image15258631065437
WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 17.6 35.0
SNR Margin: 3.0 14.2
Errored Seconds: 3 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 44 67
Speed: 852 7104

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 6816 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 5452
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 4252 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 123
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 6

Our testing however isn't identifying any issues external to the property however so the next step I'd recommend you do if you haven't already would be getting the router in the optimum set-up your side to see if the errors are being caused by any of the below. The optimum set-up would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops and speed issues stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Given the intermittency between drops I'd suggest staying in this set-up for 24-48 hours minimum and let us know if the issues persists.
Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Link fixed.

stevieb58uk
Hooked

Hi & thanks for that detailed response & yes clearly there is an intermittent issue as Tuesday I suddenly had a good strong 6mbs download yet this morning I couldn't get online at all until I restarted the router. Today I will go into my loft space & check all the wiring there as this is where it enters the house & do the other checks you mentioned, though I do believe I have an old socket that doesn't feature a test switch but will check. At present I again have 6mbs after the restart of the router.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @stevieb58uk

I have just revisited this for you and can see you are currently in Sync at just over 7Mbps which is in the 5.5 to 12.5Mbps range our suppliers have provided for your line, and have had a constant connection to our network for over 8 hours since you reset your router. 

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you require any more help. 

Kind Regards, 

Alisdair