cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.79 down speed

alliasjay
Grafter

Re: 0.79 down speed

The secondary sockets that im finding are only a few bob is that right?
Cheers
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

They all ought to be a couple of quid or less. £4 odd on ebay is a bit steep. Depends on what you mind spending.
Post a link of one you think is OK.
alliasjay
Grafter

I'm passing B&Q later and I reckon they should have all the bits that I need. Hopefully I can ge all this up and rrunning by tonight.
Anotherone
Champion

Make absolutely sure the cable is the correct CW1308 standard twisted pair cable. IMHO B&Q prices these days are rip-off, but your choice.
When connecting the extension, you only use the Blue pair and no other wires. You connect to the rear of the removable faceplate. The Blue + white trace goes on Terminal 2 and the White + blue trace goes on terminal 5. You don't strip the wires, the terminals are IDC "Insulation Displacement Connectors". You push the wire into the terminal using the tool provided - do not use a screwdriver or other implement in the terminal as this can open the jaws of the terminal and give a bad connection.
alliasjay
Grafter

Thanks a bunch for the assistance.  I have all the bits required was the cable that cost the most. And yeah B&Q aren't the cheapest...but who doesn't rip you off nowadays? 😛
ill install all this later on this evening and give you an update. Cheers
Anotherone
Champion

You'll be better actually connecting the wiring at the master socket faceplate and disconnecting your modem/router in daylight hours. Noise levels are generally lower and you usually achieve better sync speeds.
Whenever you do it, post up the DSL stats when connected and we'll see what they are looking like.
alliasjay
Grafter

Well I have just installed the line this morning.
Tested the secondary line and the phone works but not the Internet side of things. I have connected as specified one side of the cable to the master socket faceplate and the other side is attached the secondary socket faceplate. Although from the front of the secondary socket it is just a telephone socket unlike the master socket which has a telephone and adsl sockets.
I'm missing something of course just not entirely sure what
alliasjay
Grafter

As soon as i plus the old cable back into the master socket the line status says 'showtime'  hmm
PeterBirt
Grafter

Hi,
I've just been reading through all this and have a couple of questions for you.
Can you see your master socket on the following link?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
If so which socketed is it?
If its not listed can you provide a picture of your socket and how you have it wired in?
In one of your earlier posts you mention that both your line and you friends run from a small black box. Prior to that black box is it the same phone line to the telegraph poll?
If thats the case that may well be the problem as essentially you would be sharing the same cable running back from that black splitter box to the local cabinet this is known as starwiring.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: alliasjay
As soon as i plus the old cable back into the master socket the line status says 'showtime'  hmm

Well that surely means it has synced - any stats?
@PeterBirt
It is two separate lines sharing the same drop-wire, there is no star wiring involved - please don't confuse the issue.
As for the NTE5A - latest type see reply #13.
alliasjay
Grafter

It's an NTE5 Socket with this attached to it.

It is the same phone line that runs to the telephone pole yes. So one line coming to the house and then splits off into two separate lines.
alliasjay
Grafter

@ Anotherone.
It's only when I plug the old 30 meter flat cable that runs from the master socket to my computer upstairs when the internet is working.  With the secondary extension line that I have put in I get use of the Phone but not anything on the internet as the modem just shows a status of Line Down.
alliasjay
Grafter

I have checked the cabling and how it is clipped in together, Blue with white stripe being clipped in 2, White with blue stripe into 5. Its just odd how I can call people yet not use the internet. Does that make much sense or? Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Why are you not using the standard NTE5A front plate? The terminals on that one are filtered and will not give the broadband signal!
You said you had a standard NTE5A in reply #13.
alliasjay
Grafter

ah... I was looking at the master socket as I have done for the past half a year without a face plate on as I've been connected to the test socket. The faceplate I think has been like that since day one if I recall rightly. So that's not going to work then? I need to grab another faceplate? wonder if I can get one today anywhere