cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.5Mb upload speeds

furneach

0.5Mb upload speeds

Hi, I live down a private road in Greenwich and unfortunately there are no fibre options at my address. Typical download speeds are between 7 and 8 Mb and upload just 0.5Mb. It's always been an issue but more recently seems to be slower and slower. It makes working from home almost impossible. Voice calls over VPN constantly lag.  BT Speed checkers says upload should be up to 1.5Mb but I've never seen this. Does anyone know if there is anything I could get BT to do to speed things up? Alternatively, any experience here of using 4G as a permanent home solution for internet? I'd need to break my contract with Plusnet but when the service provided is almost unusable I think this should be okay. Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: 0.5Mb upload speeds

Welcome to the forums @furneach If you are as far from your exchange as your download speed suggests, your upload is probably about correct, and there is little anyone can do about it.

I assume the 'BT speedcheckers' you are referring to is the service availability one?

If you broke your service with PN over this issue, you would be liable for termination charges, as the responsibility of an ISP is to provide you with a connection - they have no control over the capabilities of the BT infrastructure.

What do you get if you complete this test - a screenshot of the result of the 'Advanced' option would be useful - https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @furneach and welcome to our community forums.

I've just been looking into this and our testing is showing your router's getting an upload speed of 1.1mbps (and download speed of 21mbps) so you are in fact very close to the exchange. I've made a change to a setting on your line to try to improve the speed you see on your end, I've increased the SNRM target (noise margin) from 3dB to 6dB.

Can you let me know what your speeds look like after half an hour?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
furneach

Hi John,

Thanks for the warm welcome and prompt reply. It was here that I check what should be available - https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/telephoneHome. Very frustrating that no fibre is provided here.

I attached the advanced test results, this speed checker shows much more favorable results than the others that I have tried. It seems I am getting more or less what is available. I've never seen such show upload speeds though, even with ADSL.

I think I might try the 4g router option and see what kind of results I get, if good enough I'll take the hit on the contract.

Thanks again for your help.

furneach

Hi @Gandalf ,

Thanks for your reply. The speed test I was originally using shows the same results as before but the BT Wholesale one shows better results, not sure what these were before though.

Do you know why the upload speed is so slow? I know many people with ADSL getting much better upload speeds? Any ideas why Fibre is not available here? Anything I can do to try and make it available?

Thanks,

Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Chris,

The speeds your router's getting are the maximum anybody can get on ADSL (although download speed can go up to 24mbps in theory but that a rarity). Are you testing on a wireless or wired connection?

It's difficult to say why fibre's not available, Openreach's website Here doesn't give much away unfortunately when typing your full address into their fibre availability checker. It could be worth filling out the formwize Here to send a query to their fibre availability enquiries team to find out if there's any more information they'll be able to provide on their plans.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DonaldDuck
Dabbler

I live down a private road and was getting  330k maximum download day or night which is about 6 youtube vids at 720p any more and they start buffering and hanging. If I use Netflix then forget about anything else I got a pretty good router with bandwidth monitor. Is this a joke ?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@DonaldDuck Welcome to the forums. Sorry, don't quite understand your question? Also, and I'll forgive you, as a new user, but it is bad form to 'hijack' another posters topic - you should start your own, even if you think the issue is the same., it is difficult to follow multiple issues on the same thread.

John