cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.5 MB Exchange Speeds??! SNR Setting?

eccles030
Dabbler

0.5 MB Exchange Speeds??! SNR Setting?

I'm with Plusnet broadband, great service and used to get about a 3MB speed about a month ago which I had no problems with at all. This past month I've only been getting 0.5MB!! It's like I'm on dialup again, takes bout 5 seconds to loads the Google logo!
Plusnet told me...
"the SNR setting is quite high and as a result this is pushing your connection speed to the exchange (known as sync) down and ultimately resulting in the slower than expected speeds.
As such I have now submitted a request to our suppliers to reset the line settings and this will now take around 4 hours to complete. Once this process has had an opportunity to complete we would ask that you perform a single restart of your router by powering the router down for a few moments and then back on. Following this please leave your router connected for at least 72 hours without a reset and the speed should then be restored automatically.
Am I likely to return to my 3MB speeds I had do you think? I rely on broadband for work and it's making me really mad!
Here is my SNR results:

Thanks,
Mark
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 0.5 MB Exchange Speeds??! SNR Setting?

Can you report the router stats while connected to the test socket as your speed looks a bit low even with a 15dB noise margin
Hopefully this will show how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
We need attenuation, noise margin and speeds
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi Mark,
Your downstream SNR wll be reset to 6db. With this sort of decrease, I'd expect your sync spped to increase by just over 2Mbps. It does depend on where your SNR settles after a few days but yes, I expect your former speeds will return.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

eccles030
Dabbler

Thanks for your quick replies guys, I appreciate it. It's been nearly 72 hous now since the reset (wether it actually took place or not I don't know). The online exchange speed checkers all still say 0.5MB, when is this likely to change? Does this mean everyone connected to this exchange will be getting poor speeds too? Here's the screenshot from SamKnows:

Thanks,
Mark
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Hi Mark,
Your downstream SNR wll be reset to 6db. With this sort of decrease, I'd expect your sync spped to increase by just over 2Mbps. It does depend on where your SNR settles ........
Quote from: eccles030
Thanks for your quick replies guys, I appreciate it. It's been nearly 72 hous now since the reset (wether it actually took place or not I don't know). The online exchange speed checkers all still say 0.5MB, when is this likely to change?

Thanks,
Mark

From Bob's post the reset will or has happened sometime today.
Check your line stats from the router to see what the SNR figure is at the moment.
With a SNR reset comes a ten day line retrain usually, so don't switch the router off during this period.
eccles030
Dabbler

Just had the following reply from Plusnet:
Thanks for getting back to us. I don't think the SNR reset did the job, we should now rule out internal wiring issues. We would like you to test your connection from the test socket behind your master socket and then call us when you are so that we can the test the line to see the sync speed attained in the test port.
To do this please can you find you master socket into your premises. unscrew the 2 screws on the faceplate and behind this there should be a test port which isolates your internal wiring.

My speed is now 600kb instead of 300kb so very slight improvement but still very unacceptable. I know it's not internal wiring issues at my house as I had a stable 3MB line a month ago and nothing has changed in my apartment since. If it was my issue, then the online exchange checkers would still show 3MB (like they did a month ago because I looked) and not 0.5MB wouldn't it!! What else can I try guys, I'm going crazy here!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Do as they ask - If the results are the same from the test socket this will rule out your internal wiring and stop BT claiming that it is the cause of the problem and make a charge
eccles030
Dabbler

Yeah will do, spoke to them but the test of the socket they perform isn't working at their end so said I would leave it plugged in a test in a day or two. It's so annoying. How will I find out if there's a problem at BT's end? Seems the most likely cause due to it being fine before this speed decrease.
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

jim:post a few posts have been removed to keep the discussions amicable - please don't start again mod:end