Did you mean: 

0.2Mbs Broadband Speed

FIXED
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

0.2Mbs Broadband Speed

Hi all, 

After reading all those speed complaints over the years, it's about time I did one of my own I suppose. Undecided

My parents (standard ADSL) broadband speed seems to be getting worse. They've still on a 1Mb fixed line product I think. To be honest they're quite far from the exchange which I think is the main problem, SamKnows says we're around 3.2km from the Woolwich exchange, but I am sure it is longer than that.

Over the last couple of years, their landline has gone down completely twice and it has taken BT a few days to fix it, which demonstrates how stable the connection is from their house to the exchange.

I have tried the usual - unplugging everything, using wired and not wireless, a different filter and a different router.

We can get Fibre, and should get a decent connection from that (so they say). I even know where the box is at the end of the road. I think ultimately we'll have to move to that. I'm not sure if what we currently have can count as a fault.

I have a few questions:

• If we move from ADSL to Fibre, I assume it'll be a year and a half contract, as presumably BT Wholesale being your suppliers enforce this. I know you have to pass this on, and would rather avoid a lengthy contract if I could, but this is BT for you I suppose and there is little else I can do.
  • Following a recent bereavement in our family, the landline name will need to be changed from my father to my mothers. I know it used to be the case that used to cause the broadband to become disconnected (is it called a PTSL cease?), I'm not sure if that is still the case? If I order Fibre should I change the name first, and can I do it without it causing an interruption of service? The BB we have now is at least better than nothing.
  • Is there anything wrong with the line that can be fixed in the meantime, worth raising a fault? Or just moving to Fibre? I know you'll need line stats and speed checks for that, I can post those later tonight when I am back at their house. We're still using a PlusNet supplied Thomson TG585 v7, so it is getting on a bit now.
30 REPLIES 30
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: 0.2Mbs Broadband Speed

Hello @Alex

I'm sorry to hear your parents are having speed issues. It's possible that with a line that length there might not be much we can do.

If we move from ADSL to Fibre, I assume it'll be a year and a half contract, as presumably BT Wholesale being your suppliers enforce this. I know you have to pass this on, and would rather avoid a lengthy contract if I could, but this is BT for you I suppose and there is little else I can do.

Yeah, I'm afraid the contract lengths we provide for fibre are either 18 months or 24 months.

Following a recent bereavement in our family, the landline name will need to be changed from my father to my mothers. I know it used to be the case that used to cause the broadband to become disconnected (is it called a PTSL cease?), I'm not sure if that is still the case? If I order Fibre should I change the name first, and can I do it without it causing an interruption of service? The BB we have now is at least better than nothing.

Really sorry to hear this Sad please accept my condolences. You're probably referring to a PSTN cease and that can cause the broadband to cease too. Though, I wouldn't expect the change of the account holders name on an account to a close family relation to cease the line itself.

If the PSTN does cease (and I see no reason why it should) it's quicker to reprovide an ADSL service rather than Fibre. Are we providing the phone service as well broadband?

Is there anything wrong with the line that can be fixed in the meantime, worth raising a fault? Or just moving to Fibre? I know you'll need line stats and speed checks for that, I can post those later tonight when I am back at their house. We're still using a PlusNet supplied Thomson TG585 v7, so it is getting on a bit now.

If you private message me with their username I will be happy to run a few tests down the line tomorrow to see what we can do. A router fault is also a possible cause of speed problems. The best way to rule it out, is to try a different router if you can. Scrap that, I've re-read your post and I can see you've already tried this.

In the meantime, I'd probably advise to try connecting the router to the test socket if it isn't already. As explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

This can help bypass any internal wiring and help resolve speed issues.

I hope this helps.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Alex
Community Veteran

Thank you for your reply, it is what I thought really. I think we'll have to go Fibre.
I'm heading back there tonight, so I will try the tests, PM you and let you know.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks for your reply Anoush,

PSTN is what I meant, got my acronyms mixed up.

I've tried wired to the socket, and I am getting 50ms ping, 1.85Mbs download and 0.29Mbs upload, what I expected really. I'll PM you my username.

So I'm guessing, to get my mother to change the BT account holder name to hers from my fathers, hope it won't stop the Broadband. If it does I can always data tether from my mobile 4G for a while.

To order Fibre from yourselves I assume it is just a product upgrade? I'll be available for an engineer visit.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No worries. I've been testing your broadband, and I'm not picking up on any issues.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 39.8 64.0
SNR Margin: 6.0 6.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 4293 6837
Speed: 659 1946

The speed is within the estimated range. From testing your line, I can see it's about 3.5 miles long which explains the low speed estimate I'm afraid.

If your test socket has improved the speed from 0.2 Mbps, it's could be the problem is caused by internal wiring.

To upgrade to fibre, yeah you can either process the product change on the Member Centre, or call our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting option 1, then option 2).

Opening Times:
08:00 - 20:00 Monday to Friday
09:00 - 19:00 Saturday
09:00 - 18:00 Sundays

I wouldn't expect a change of account holder to cease the line, and I'd be very surprised if it did. Probably best to contact BT retail (assuming that's your phone provider) and explain the situation, making sure the line remains intact.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding change of account holder - it will or is very likely to cease the line due to the convoluted way BT Retail do it

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks @Oldjim

Something to probably watch out for @Alex, I wish I could help you further with getting the account holders name changed on the BT account without this side effect, but isn't something we'd have control over.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks for all your help, sorry it's been a while since I last posted, but have been dealing with other things since then.

So firstly, I'll just get my mother to ring BT up to change the account holder into her name and hope it doesn't cancel the BB. Though knowing BT I won't hold my breath on that Roll_eyes

Luckily I upgraded my phone tariff recently, so it could be a few days (I hope) of 4G data tethering, if BT do what I suspect.

Once that is complete (and no doubtly BT disconnect the BB) I will have to order Fibre from yourselves, 

Alex
Community Veteran

Ok - my mum has phoned BT and changed the account holder name.

Their CS said it shouldn't affect the BB. All looks good so far (fingers crossed and all that), as at least it is still working.

I'll order a product upgrade.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Sounds good. Fingers crossed there are no problems with the upgrade, but feel free to let me know if you encounter any.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks Anoush,

I've just done a product change through the portal, hopefully I did it ok.

Let me know if there are any issues, I've got a date of the 7th Feb - I assume we'll need an engineer visit?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fix

No problems, I'll check up on the order next week when I'm back in the office.

An engineer will only be required to complete work at the cabinet, they won't need access to the property. All you'll need to do is setup the router when you receive it and the service should switchover seamlessly on the go live date.

Alex
Community Veteran

Ok - excellent Grin

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Checking the order is showing it's due for the 16th Feb.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks Chris for checking,

Unlike BT Wholesale to delay an order I know.

In the meantime could someone give me an approximate date (1 day before is fine, so I don't need it now), just for the router delivery in case it needs to be signed for.

Just to make sure I am over there really.