cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.21 Mbps,again

epik

0.21 Mbps,again

So I'm still having speed problems.
Some time ago I made some posts about very low speed I'm getting.I was told that there was too much noise
based on the stats that could be caused by my phone.So I unscrewed the socket and tried the test one but with no results.
Then unplugged the phone from the filter and my speed "improved" to 1-1.5Mbps.
The past two days my speed dropped again to 0.21Mbps with the phone unplugged.
Suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
Raglan

Re: 0.21 Mbps,again

I have the same,
Went to speedtest.net and it was saying one time I was connected through 'TranceFM' and another time through 'Vodafone'...
It's ridiculous... 'Good Honest Broadband from Yorkshire', unfortunately I haven't experienced that yet...
I hope it gets better, including my random DNS down times, otherwise I might have to get on the phone.  Undecided
Raglan

Decided to use my iPhone's HotSpot Internet instead and guess what, 5 Mbps! - From a Phone on a Mac!
PlusNet, please sort it out, I would like at least 7Mbps (Preferably 10) constantly.
Not 0.25...
But to be honest, I could end my contract next month seeing as my 24 month contact is up then and just use my iPhone's internet which is free, all the time.
I might do if it doesn't hugely improve or I get a free upgrade to make my experience correct and how it should be.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: Raglan
Went to speedtest.net and it was saying one time I was connected through 'TranceFM' and another time through 'Vodafone'...

Actually, Speedtest.Net isn't telling you that you are connected *through* those two. Instead those are two of the locations of the servers being used by the Speedtest.net service, where the servers are *hosted* by those 2 companies: One is located in London (there is another London-based one hosted by Namesco), while the Vodafone one is based in Newbury.
If you are clicking on the "Begin Test Recommended Server" button, the Speedtest will choose the server for you based on latency. Other servers exist in Milton Keynes, Maidenhead, Leeds, Manchester, Hull etc. You can select the server manually yourself by hovering over a "dot" on the map - and can even select servers abroad. I can get top speed out of Amsterdam as much as I can out of London-based servers.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: epik
So I'm still having speed problems.
Some time ago I made some posts about very low speed I'm getting.I was told that there was too much noise
based on the stats that could be caused by my phone.So I unscrewed the socket and tried the test one but with no results.
Then unplugged the phone from the filter and my speed "improved" to 1-1.5Mbps.
The past two days my speed dropped again to 0.21Mbps with the phone unplugged.
Suggestions?

From your description above, and from reading your previous thread:
It sounds like you are suffering from noise on the line that isn't being caused by the phone itself, and that the noise is itself intermittent. Perhaps it comes around when it is windy or rainy, or maybe frosty.
The noise can cause your modem to resync at a lower (much lower) speed, which isn't necessarily restored when the noise goes away - and even after you manage to resync at a higher speed (perhaps manually) it might take some time to get your download speeds back to normal.
The best trick is to actually be able to report the noisy line to your telephone provider when noise is actually on the line. The operator will certainly believe you if they can hear it too!
The advice being offered on the other thread still stands:
  - Listen for noise on a quiet line (the 17070 test will do, or just dial a '1' and listen)
  - It is best to be using a wired phone for this, rather than a cordless phone
  - Do this test from the test socket, to be sure any internal wiring has been disconnected from the inicoming BT line
  - Be as sure as you can that the phone itself is not causing the noise. Two ways: (1) use a second phone on the line to check for noise, or (2) check whether the phone is quiet on a neighbour's (working) line.
Plusnet has a troubleshooting page related to problems with the phone line (rather than just broadband), which may be worth looking at. Note that the advice they give to call them only applies if Plusnet supply your phone service - if someone else supplies your phone line, then you should call them instead.
If the phone line isn't noisy at times, then you'll need to go through the faults process. A good starting place is at the wizard. Then click on "Connection problems", then click on "Report a Broadband Fault".
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.