cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.06 Upload Speed and disconnections

MattHill

0.06 Upload Speed and disconnections

We're supposed to have over 1.00 upload and 8.00 download but currently we have 4.61 Mbps download and 0.06Mbps upload.

According to Plusnet the answer is for us to pay more and get Fibre.  Recently a newspaper did an article on how terrible Fibre speeds were through the BT boxes (which Plusnet uses) and that no one ever gets half the speeds they're supposed to.

Apparently we're also using too many devices during the day, even though we use the same amount of devices during the evening.

I'm not sick of slow connection speeds and cut-outs so grateful if Plusnet can respond and explain why this is ok.

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: 0.06 Upload Speed and disconnections

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

I've tested your line today and I can see your router is in sync at a line speed of 18mbps with 2 drops over the past 4 days with no signs of any errors on your connection - the mean time between errors in a 24 hour period is 86400 seconds.

Your upload speed is also in sync at a speed of 0.4mbps which is the default for standard broadband. We're happy to place an order to uncap this speed however due to the way ADSL works your download speed will go down.

With this in mind, can you confirm if your devices are connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and I'd recommend trying the steps Here.

If you're still having problems to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation.

Once you have completed this, please report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've completed it and we'll make sure it is picked up as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf wrote:

Your upload speed is also in sync at a speed of 0.4mbps which is the default for standard broadband. We're happy to place an order to uncap this speed however due to the way ADSL works your download speed will go down.

Hi Anoush,

Can you please clarify here?

I thought ADLS2+ provided uncapped up-stream up to 1.4Mbps without any trade off on download synch speed?

Sure ADSL2+ Annex.M which offers up to 2.5Mbps upload is achieved by trading DS capacity, but with Plusnet it is (or was) only available on business lines.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Townman, thanks for your post.

ADSL2+ is capped to 0.4mbps upload by default when we place the orders, for the reasons @Gandalf mentions.

We're able to amend this either at the time of ordering, or later on, should the customer indicate that they need higher upload speeds.

Hope this helps!

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

There seems to be a subtle but significant change of emphasis in the responses here compared with what I've always understood to be the situation over the years, which is that the ADSL2+ upload is indeed capped at 0.4Mbps by default, but that it's supposed to be uncapped manually by Plusnet at the time of provisioning new orders.

This means that customers would only experience lower than necessary upload speeds if that process had been overlooked for some reason.

Surely no-one in their right mind would actually choose a lower upload speed if there is no DS speed penalty involved in uncapping, which I (and @Townman too apparently) have always believed to be the case?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@JayG we've discussed this with Townman in the superuser board. For visibility sorry for the confusion, it seems that this was my doing. We do, and have done for a good while now, automatically provision people on an uncapped upstream for ADSL2+ either through automation or an adviser changing the setting when manually placing the order.

I've dug into this one further and I can confirm that the OP is provisioned on an uncapped upstream. It was however capped by DLM for some reason, I've made a DLM change to uncap it and it's now in sync at 0.8mbps.

Regarding an uncapped upstream not affecting downstream for ADSL2+ I've discussed this with @MatthewWheeler and all I can say is that you learn something new everyday Smiley

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Thanks for the clarification @Gandalf - despite widespread rumours you possess superhuman powers it's reassuring to hear you're a mere mortal at least some of the time! Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

And now you've acknowledged my powers you've broken the 4th wall. Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet