cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will pro add on help with 3rd party voip

mike1234

will pro add on help with 3rd party voip

I am using a Voip phone service but not from plusnet. The provider is voipfone and it  works with my TG582n and I have broadband extra package.
My upstream is much lower than my previous ISP, it is around 0.35mbps, downstream is around 5.8mbps. I have downgraded the codec but i still get some breakup of calls.
The problem being the calls do seem to be excellent during off-peak internet times and the break up seems to be during office hours.
Despite the broadband service advertised as VOIP calls receiving maximum priority I  am beginning to think this only applies to those with a VOIP packaged taken out with plusnet. Is this the case?
If the prioritised voip service is only for plusnet voip then will I benefit with the pro add-on.
Or is there another setting of some sort I may need to change?

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: will pro add on help with 3rd party voip

A first suggestion is to ask for your upstream to be uncapped assuming you are on 21CN
Note Plusnet do not prioritise or throttle upstream speeds
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

All (correctly identified) VOIP services are supposed to be prioritised by Plusnet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi mike1234,
As has already been said, these services are prioritised. I am aware of Voipfone users and this was certainly correctly recognised last time.
Some of the simpler questions first.
Is this a softphone on your machine, or a VoIP phone?
Is it connected wirelessly or wired?
If wirelessly, can you try with a wired setup?
Ensure you temporary disable wireless whilst doing this test.
mike1234

Hi, thanks for the replies.
It is a snom 300 and is wired.
I have also connected the mac wired and turned off wireless (on the mac) and now on the router. This seems to have helped a little. It's going to be a hard one to pin point.
To confuse the matter (it's a long story) I know have add-on pro activated. It does seem to make general broadband usage a bit snappier.