cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the pros and cons of joining the beta trial

mystery
Grafter

what are the pros and cons of joining the beta trial

I have been told there is a link somewhere on the site which shows present issues with the voip trial. Could someone please point me to it as I can't seem to find it.
I am considering joining the voip trial as I am unable to connect to any outgoing calls via my voip phone on the present broadband phone system.  I can however make outgoing calls via other voip providers so it is unlikely to be a problem with my hardware................  Plusnet seem unable or reluctant to get back to me regarding this.  I have followed all settings changes and my phone is registered with my plusnet voip account, so cannot see the problem unless it is plusnet who has not set up my account correctly.
Will I have the same problem if I move over to the voip trial?
What are the present technical issues with the voip trail broadband phone?
I have been with Plusnet for almost 2 months now and still can't use my handset to make voip calls even though x-lite is working ok.
The phone service was the main reason I moved to plusnet as homephone is complimented by broadband phone (or should be if it ever starts working)
Any ideas folks, would be gratefully received.
Mystery x
2 REPLIES
petermaughan
Grafter

Re: what are the pros and cons of joining the beta trial

Hello Mystery,
It seems to me that, as the new Gradwell VOIP system is being introduced in order to overcome problems with the old VOIP system, the focus of the VOIP support staff will be on getting any bugs out of the new system.  They will not be wanting to spend too much time supporting the old system, which will eventually be dropped.
So, my own recommendation would be to join the VOIP trial.  That is where you will get enthusiastic support from the support people.  You can get a feeling for the successes and problems by browsing this forum.  I would judge that overall the Gradwell VOIP is going quite well.
Peter
puddy
Grafter

Re: what are the pros and cons of joining the beta trial

I agree with the above I have been on the trial above since it started.
Apart from a billing issue their are no problems.
The best bit is that you can choose any 01/020 std code in britain.  On the old system and 0870 is expensive to call in up to 7p per minute and this does not come out of free minutes allowance unlike the new system.
To get started you can buy a voip  Linksys spa 3000 UK spec adapter for less then £32 on ebay.
Puddy Grin
siemens 460ip dect
Grandstream GXP2000
Linksys PAP2-na
Speedtouch 716wl v5